Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chuck Taylor chimes in on 6.8 SPC

Feedback Score

Chuck Taylor chimes in on 6.8 SPC

Just read a clip from one of the "Special Weapons and Tactics" rags (NOT SWAT Magazine) where Chuck Taylor totally trashes the 5.56, and totally supports the 6.8 SPC.

His arguments are mostly around lack of stopping power, that he has experienced...especially in Viet Nam with 1/14 twist barrels. He believes that the Tumbling effect from the 1/14 twist actually produced better wounding capabilities because of "Tumbling" than 1/12, 1/9, and 1/7 twists that he states "Do nothing bu put a .22 caliber hole in someone as most of their energy is lost AFTER it passes through the target". Doesn't mention anything about expansion, etc. on the 5.56...even at less than 150 yds.

We've all seen the data on TOS (Actually some of the best rsearch I've seen) and other places about penetration, fragmentation, etc. from ammo like M193, but Chuck doesn't mention anything about the "Current Data" and chooses to accept that the 5.56mm is unsuitable for battle, and WILL be replaced by something like the 6.8 SPC. I have to admit...he has BEEN THERE.

What do you all think?

Tack

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not specifically about Chuck, however,

Some writers tend to following current testing and actualy data and others seem to pander to certain companies and trash others for what ever reasons.

Makes me wonder if its along the lines of the old 'play-ola' that was going on so many years ago in the record industry.

Then again there are some writers who I think are just not well informed and others who I think do have something to say thats worth listening to.
    Last edited by MH64; 09-18-07 at 22:57. Reason: more to say

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post

What do you all think?

Tack

I wouldnt take Chuck Taylors advice on grass seed, let alone anything to do with guns.
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy196 View Post
    I wouldnt take Chuck Taylors advice on grass seed, let alone anything to do with guns.
    I 100% agree. I don't like or agree with the majority of gunwriters. Writing doesn't pay much so you really have to want to do it. The gun industry needs much more credible gunwriters................guys like Pat Rogers (who writes great articles) & Larry Vickers (also great articles). Guys who've been there done that or better yet get some guys who STILL DO.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    5.56 rounds don't "tumble", they yaw, and most of them will yaw in tissue no matter what twist rate is used. Always run up the caution flag on anecdotal "evidence" from the gun writers and gun rags. It has the bad tendancy to take on a mantle of truth even when completely false...

Feedback Score
    Guys...

I'm not supporting Chuck Taylor on this, although 20 years ago he was Jeff Coopers #2 man at Gunsite, Ex Vietnam Era Rangers Veteran, did countless trainings of both Military, LEO and civilian personnel, was a World Ranked IPSC Competitor, etc., etc., etc. Back then he was viewed to be the Pat Rogers, and Larry Vickers of his time by guys just like us...but that's not what I'm asking, because these are just his "Opinions".

Do you agree that the 6.8 SPC is superior to the 5.56, and do you think it will be adopted (in our lifetime) as the U.S. Military caliber of choice based on superior stopping power. (If you believe it is superior.) Why or why not?

Thanks!

Tack

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Do you agree that the 6.8 SPC is superior to the 5.56...
    I believe it is from almost all measurable ballistics data shown by everyone testing it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    I believe it is from almost all measurable ballistics data shown by everyone testing it.
    Thanks Shihan...do you think the 5.56 will be dropped for the 6.8?

Tack

Feedback Score
    Considering that gov't support for the 6.8SPC practically vanished overnight and shifted to the heavy 5.56x45 rounds a few years ago, I don't think we'll see a major change in the next couple of decades at least.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Thanks SHIVAN...do you think the 5.56 will be dropped for the 6.8?
    That would be WAY outside my lane to offer a crystal ball reading on it.

I think the tea leaves point to "No."....though weirder things have happened though, right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast