Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AAR: Center Mass Patrol Rifle Instructor School

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Also of importance is a quick peek at the bolt (EAG......thanks again Pat) prior to closing the dust cover. I saw two problems that would have been quickly detected with a glimpse of the ejection port, just before one would normally close that dust cover.
    This is a HUGE detail!

Not just closing it, but LOOKING at what you're closing it on!! I closed mine once on a locked back bolt once. I was doing some CQB shooting and moving on steel targets with frangible ammo.... So I didn't feel/hear the bolt lock back like you would if you were shooting from a fixed position.

On my next attack the trigger was dead! Of course failure drills did nothing because the charging handle was useless. And the Dust cover was closed so I didn't know WTF was going on.

No biggie since this was just a practice session, but I always look at what I'm closing the cover on now.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    As I contemplate the course, I recall several instances where a Chambered Round Verification would have saved some shooters additional trouble. Unless conducting an emergency reload, I was careful to make sure a round chambered every time. I'd grant that it takes extra effort, but then it's one more step to take in making sure your firearm goes bang when you expect it to.

As part of a Pre-Engagement Sequence, I knew my gun was loaded when I wanted it to be so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12