Thread: BCG's in original Colt AR15/M16?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

BCG's in original Colt AR15/M16?

Original Colt's had chrome BGC's. Why did Colt move away from this? Did this actually improve reliability?

IIRC some Colts had jeweled bolt carriers. Has anyone else seen this? I believe the idea was it would better hold an LSA type lubricant. Can anyone shed any light on this?

At some point there was a run of aluminum bolt carriers (during the 80's?). Was this ever a Colt part? What ever came of these?

Feedback Score
    I don't know for sure, and the M16 review documents arent available online but generally: Hard chrome is wear resistant but parkerizing holds lubricant better (it is porous).

An aluminum bolt sounds... retarded, to me. I have read that the very early AR-15 prototypes were tested with aluminum barrels but have never seen a picture of one.
    Last edited by ZRH; 03-14-11 at 08:39.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Colt rifles have never came with a jeweled moving parts assembly.

There could have been some engineering prototype made like this but I have never seen one.

A chrome moving parts assembly was used due to the slickness of the chrome and was though to provide some of the benifits of lubrication.

Parkerizing holds lube better and it was discovered the chrome was not needed.

It has no effect on reliability either way.
    Last edited by scottryan; 03-15-11 at 10:14.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    My friend says that it was blackened for a similar reason the M1 Garand gas block was: shiny stuff generally isn't a good idea.

Feedback Score
    It's not blackened, it's parkerized, it's a phosphate conversion coating that reduces wear/holds lube. Your friend apparently forgot about the dustcover, and that lot of model 603s had parkerized bolts and chrome carriers.

Feedback Score
    Is blackened an actual type of finishing (for metal, not fish)? Maybe I should have used "darkened" instead. The point being that it went from shiny to not shiny.

I'm no history buff on this stuff, and I know he's *generally* right if not very close to right. Is he also incorrect about the M1 Garand?