Thread: Recce Rifle Optic Input

Feedback Score

Question Recce Rifle Optic Input

Well I'm alost done with my Recce Rifle and now the last part I need to get is some optics for it so I can take advantage of the nice Noveske barrel sitting on it. After much deliberation I've narrowed down my choices two three different Trijicons. The TA31F, TA11B or the TA33R8. I'm going with the ACOG since I don't want to mess with anything variable like a Leupold MRT and from all the glowing reports about the ACOGs toughness I'm certainly sold on it. My inclination in all of this is to lean towards the TA11B since it has the most eye relief of all three of them and I really like the circle chevron reticle. I think that would be perfect for 50 to 300 yd shots which is the range I would be using it in. Anyone one have any pros or cons you'd like to add for each model? Any input is certainly appreciated.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Well I'm alost done with my Recce Rifle and now the last part I need to get is some optics for it so I can take advantage of the nice Noveske barrel sitting on it. After much deliberation I've narrowed down my choices two three different Trijicons. The TA31F, TA11B or the TA33R8. I'm going with the ACOG since I don't want to mess with anything variable like a Leupold MRT and from all the glowing reports about the ACOGs toughness I'm certainly sold on it. My inclination in all of this is to lean towards the TA11B since it has the most eye relief of all three of them and I really like the circle chevron reticle. I think that would be perfect for 50 to 300 yd shots which is the range I would be using it in. Anyone one have any pros or cons you'd like to add for each model? Any input is certainly appreciated.

The TA33R-8 get's my vote as it is small and light. It is also cheaper than the others and have the most eye relief of any mangnified ACOG.

C4

Feedback Score
    If BAC works well for you and you shoot 75/77gr ammo, the TA11C is the best fixed power Recce optic available.
    The BDC is very close to BHBB 75gr or Mk262 ammo, it has the donut, good eye relief, isn't too large, decent FOV, good low light performance, tritium, and is tough as an anvil.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input edwin907. On the doughnut reticle what are the aiming points that you use for 200 and 300 yds? Do you sight in the center of the doughnut at 100yds or do you use the top of it?

Feedback Score
    Using BHBB 75gr ammo, which is what I mostly shoot in this 16" rifle, the top of the donut is the 100 yard zero. I have found it fast, accurate and effective to "bisec" the target with the upper curve of the donut. This ain't a sniper rifle, you know, it's a combat weapon.
    The top of the ladder is the 300 meter zero, then 400, and so forth. I always confirm my 300 meter zero.

At a buddy's farm, we go out to shoot and he says that the 55 gallon drum is a brand new target. I ranged it with the Leica Geovids, he said it was about 350 yards away, it comes up 436 yards, or almost 400 meters.
    I drop prone with the Recon with suppressor mounted on the GG&G Bipod, quickly center the drum on the ladder reticle next to the 4, and proceed to shoot every couple of seconds for a total of 15 shots.
    Then I stood up and told him to give it a go. He's been watching with the Geovids, and he says, "wait a minute, I think you hit it every time!"
    A short ride in the 4-wheeler confirms it, 15 rounds in about a 5 by 8" group.
    Back to the gun, he does even better with the last 13 rounds in the mag, close to 1 MOA. Mostly a bolt action guy, he then says, "I see what you like about these ARs."

I really love this rifle and the way it's set up.

Feedback Score
    Well my wife accuses me of having male ADD and that's probably true, or maybe I just think too much. I haven't pulled the trigger on any optics yet but it's coming down to decision time and a change in my life has caused me to re-think my fixed power mentality. I live out where there is pretty much all open country, mountainous desert. I'll soon be moving out to northern Indiana where there seems to be a lot more woods and basically what I would consider closer shots with possibly SOME long shots out across fields. So I'm thinking a variable might be the ticket. I've pretty much narrowed it down to two different scopes either the Leupold MR/T 1.5-5 or the Nightforce NXS 1-4. Is the NF worth the extra money for optics clarity and a closer to true 1X? I don't know the answer since I can't afford both but I'm willing to spend the extra money on the NF if it is that much better. A little input would certainly be helpful

Feedback Score
    Well I assume that you don't need daylight illumination so here is the breakdown. They both have pros and cons and it's a matter of preference. The Recce concept is supposed to be based on a user customized precision carbine. The Leupold will offer a bit more precision using the SPR reticle for distance shots where as the 1x of the Nightforce will make it a bit more versatile all around IMO. As far as it being worth it it's entirely a personal choice but neither are crap optics. I believe you would be happy with whatever you go with. If CQB is a real issue you could go with a MR/T and use the extra money to buy into a pretty good red dot sight (Aimpoint/ EOTech) of course I don't know if you want 2 different scopes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MerQ View Post
    Well I assume that you don't need daylight illumination so here is the breakdown. They both have pros and cons and it's a matter of preference. The Recce concept is supposed to be based on a user customized precision carbine. The Leupold will offer a bit more precision using the SPR reticle for distance shots where as the 1x of the Nightforce will make it a bit more versatile all around IMO. As far as it being worth it it's entirely a personal choice but neither are crap optics. I believe you would be happy with whatever you go with. If CQB is a real issue you could go with a MR/T and use the extra money to buy into a pretty good red dot sight (Aimpoint/ EOTech) of course I don't know if you want 2 different scopes.
    I didn't plan on going with 2 scopes and CQB is not an issue. I've got an SBR with an Aimpoint for anything like that (ie home defense in my case). After some careful consideration I've decided to go with the NF. Versatility is the key point of my Recce build. I don't expect to use this gun in a precision role, I've got a .308 for that. But as a gun that's as comfortable close up as it is out at 300 yards the NF fits the bill for me. Thanks MerQ for your input and thoughts. That's one of the reasons I like this site, very intelligent people who offer educated suggestions.