Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Desert Tactical SRS

Feedback Score

Desert Tactical SRS

I'd like to hear some opinions from anybody shooting one.

Feedback Score
    I own a DTA SRS in .338 LM out fitted with NF 5.5-22X56 (mil dot) and Atlas bipod. It is a "Gen 1" rifle without the built-in monopod. It shoot 1/2 MOA with 300 grain Lapua Sceinars and 3/4 MOA with Hornady 250 grain BTHP.

The real beauty of this beast is the caliber conversion. You can change between .308 and .338 with less than 1/2 MOA POI shift when returning to the origional caliber. Thus, training becomes a lot less expensive.

The bullpup design saves space since the overall length of my SRS with 26" barrel is about the same as my 6920 with the stock extended. I dont have any real problems with bolt manipulation after some practice. The biggest downside is probably for left handed shooters - I hear that it can take some real time to get accustomed to the change.

Overall, well worth the coin. Having said that, I got mine before the big price increase last year.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    If you cant see your self flipping the bill for the rifle Shawn Carlock of Defensive Edge has a bull pup conversion for the Rem 700 action

Feedback Score
    That's good to hear Lanesmith. I'm fortunately right handed so I wouldn't have that problem.

Feedback Score
    By the way, what did you mean? Did they jump up in price drastically?

Feedback Score
    Does the Carwin rifle have caliber conversion capability? I'll have to look them up and give him a call.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Supergrade View Post
    By the way, what did you mean? Did they jump up in price drastically?
    Yes. There was a significant increase (about $800 if I remember correctly) when they came out with the new stock with monopod. Incidentally, the price for most of their major accessories such as caliber conversion kits also increased at the same time.

While this is not a poor man's weapon, it is still a decent cost savings when used as a system with caliber conversions - especially when you consider the costs of multiple rifles with dedicated optics. It is also less expensive than the other multi-caliber sniper systems such as the new Barrett offering.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info... Definitely a steep initial investment. However, one chassis with the option to purchase several different calibers has great appeal to me. And as you also said, one scope as well...

Feedback Score
    If I could do it again, I'd probably start with the .308 and then get the .338 caliber conversion. It took about 100 round to get very comfortable behind the system and be able to manipulate the bolt without site picture going to hell. This would have been a lot less expensive with .308. Not to mention that I rarely have access to a 1K range to push the .338's potential.

FYI, the recoil on the .338 is very manageable due to a great brake. The trigger is outstanding for a bullpup.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Supergrade View Post
    Does the Carwin rifle have caliber conversion capability? I'll have to look them up and give him a call.
    No Shawns system is just a chassy for the rem 700

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast