Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Usefullness of a Laser on an AR?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Admittedly my only experience with a vis laser is the Insight 7500 (A PEQ2B with a vis laser).
    The vis could go out FAR. I found it (.mil) a good intimidation tool as well.

I know I used to worry about multiple lasers on a tgt - and with the PEQ-2A in a det+ setting it is confusing - but if you are aiming the sytem from muscle memory its not as big an issue -even in a Platoon size setting as one may think. Pattern Generator are a wonderful thing in that respect - and one usually has a pretty good schmick about where you are aiming anyway. The IPIM and Atilla solve that issue with different blink rates if one feels thats an issue.

I have zero experience with lasers in a "lone actor" scenario.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    but if you are aiming the sytem from muscle memory its not as big an issue -even in a Platoon size setting as one may think.
    Do you mean that you can tell which is yours by it being where you "expect" it to be?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    At what ranges and light conditions are visible lasers effective on an AR?
    About 20 yds. Max. in full daylight. Some have been able to see it for 1/2 mile with optics.

Tack

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes and no,
    WRT IR
    Given direction etc one aims at the target, using different techniques (movement, pulse etc) one can tell who is who in the zoo even with similar lasers in a confined area.
    If I am somewhat uncertain which is mine - then I default to my perscribed pattern, or crank to high - or flip my pattern genny.

In a vis laser situation you can do the same thing - if you not able to adopt a position you have muscle memory with - but if its in the shoulder you can pretty much known where you are by where you point the weapon.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've heard of soy beans, red beans, lima beans, pinto beans, and even jumping beans. But never carbeans. The strange thing is you had to type CARBINE to even get here.

I've never had an issue with me and 10 of my closest buddies pointing PEQ-2As at the same target when steering the "hate train" at it. I never even thought about it til now, actually, so it must not really matter. I would never want to go out hunting at ight without an IR laser.

The visible laser can be great to designate targets for my LBGs who have little to no night vision capability.

On a pistol they are a great training tool/aid for asymmetric shooting positions/intimidator.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Guru View Post
    I've heard of soy beans, red beans, lima beans, pinto beans, and even jumping beans. But never carbeans. The strange thing is you had to type CARBINE to even get here.
    They're the low carb alternative to the other beans!

I guess in certain environments not knowing which laser is yours isn't critical.

Thanks.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    That's the info I was trying to "distract".
    Hawkeye, did you opt for the 4MOA or 2MOA??

My though was that since the dot is somewhat blurry without my glasses, the 2MOA would be better.
    I have both. Best I can advise, is to see if you can find one of each to look at, and see which works the best for your eyes.
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    My concern...I think I have too much on the rifle, and that it may over complicate things in a real fight. I.e., what button to hit...or not hit? Thinking about selling it all, which will be the second time I have bought and sold a laser for my AR.

What say you?
    Well Pat pretty much knocked the question out of the park....

But the answer to knowing what to use when is training, training, training.

If you learn good techniques and practice them properly, you'll likely be able to do what you need to do.

Feedback Score
    When i was young(er) and ignorant in the reality of emerging technology, i too believed that several shooters using lasers simultaneously might make for a "whose laser is whose" scenario.
    Like Kevin and M4Guru, experience and training has shown that to be pretty much of a non issue.

If you are in a stable firing position, you have a pretty valid idea of where your laser is. If you are using a ballistic shield and are not behind the pistol, there may be an issue, but not insurmountable with training.

You can generally assume that those who "teach" without experience may be basing their doctrine on anecdotes, conjecture or what they glean from watching the no history channel or other media representations.

There is reality, and there is discovery channel reality. We can take it to different levels, but you get the point.

Feedback Score
    Pat, do you have any carbine classes in '08 that will cover shooting with lasers at night?

I'd love to attend something like that.

Last year, I had a decent civvie type gen 3 scope and an unmarked (but amazingly powerful) IR laser. I used them on my AR about a year and a half, but sold them because i came to realize some combination of me and the gear was just flat ineffective.

now that I know people who can tell me what to buy and how to use it, i'm getting a little excited.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast