Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rem 700 scope recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Rem 700 scope recommendations

A friend has a Remington 700 in 308 that he is looking for a scope for. The rifle is a fun gun, used for target shooting usually at 200 yds, occasionally out to 600. He has a budget of up to $1000 for glass. What do you recommend?

The formerly gun-loving state of Colorado.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan9 View Post
    A friend has a Remington 700 in 308 that he is looking for a scope for. The rifle is a fun gun, used for target shooting usually at 200 yds, occasionally out to 600. He has a budget of up to $1000 for glass. What do you recommend?
    What kind of target shooting is he doing? Is he shooting paper? Is he shooting silhouettes? Is he shooting practical matches? Does he see himself using the optic to range targets? If he doesn't now does he see himself doing so in the future?

Much more information needed to give a useful answer. There are plenty of good optics for $1000.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter
    You don't change peoples minds by reinforcing stereotypes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydoc1 View Post
    What kind of target shooting is he doing? Is he shooting paper? Is he shooting silhouettes? Is he shooting practical matches? Does he see himself using the optic to range targets? If he doesn't now does he see himself doing so in the future?

Much more information needed to give a useful answer. There are plenty of good optics for $1000.
    Paper targets, no practical matches or any competition use. Ranging capability would be a plus. It is basically a range toy, no serious use, but he wants some quality glass.

Feedback Score
    Used Nightforce if you can find one or a Leupold 4.5-14x40 mildot LR for around $700.

jeff

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My next scope is going to be a Vortex Viper PST Rifle Scopes FFP. Not to many of them out yet to get that many reviews, but from the few reviews I have seen it seems promising.

Chad

Feedback Score
    Vortex. American vet owned, top notch CS, great quality for the money.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score

burris 3x9x50

I have the same gun, black stock blued barrel. I have a burrris 3x9x50 on it. I cant even count the deer i have taken with this gun. It is deadly accurate to 300 yards, an although i have more expensive rifles, it is by far my favorite.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I debated between the Vortex Viper PST and the Weaver, but really preferred the reticle in the PST. It is the 4-16x50 FFP mil/mil and it came in to my dealer (Liberty Optics) this week. I should have it by Monday and will finally be able to get it mounted next week. I'll let you know what I think when I get it as I have never had one in my hands.

Feedback Score
    Tell him to go with nightforce or leupold, in that order.

and if he wins the lottery a schmidt and bender.

R.
    "In the end, it is not about the hardware, it's about the "software". Amateurs talk about hardware (equipment), professionals talk about software (training and mental readiness)" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. On Combat

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Since his budget is 1k, then I would go with a Leupold. Look hard and you may find a nice M1 or M3 3.5-10 at a good price.

I like my NF's, have one M3 Leupold on a short gun, doesn't hinder me at all. Although I could afford it, the ceiling for me is a NF. I can't see the difference with the higher end scopes to justify the 1K or so difference. I guess that's what the under 1K crowd says to me

But in my opinion, there is a difference in a Leupold and a NF.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast