Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rem 700 scope recommendations

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Leupy MK4

I have had several 700's over the past couple years and right now the only 1 I shoot on a regular basis is my SPS-Tactical. It has the 20 in heavy bbl. My wife has a VTR with the triangle bbl, integrated MB and the ugly green stock. Both are chambered in 308. For optics I have the same set up on them (minus reticle). I used the MK4 1 piece pic rail and 30mm med rings. The scopes on these are MK4 3.5-10x40 with the M3 turrets. Wife has MilDot and I have the TMR reticle.
    A mil based reticle will allow your buddy to range as long as he has done some homework is really good at math on the fly. I like the M3 turrets since they are 1MOA elev and .5 wind. The windage isn't too much of a concern for me since I live in WY and its always windy. But I do like the 1 MOA elevation since it allows really quick gross adjustments. I go Antelope hunting and its hard to get close to them most of the time. If I need to adjust dope I'm doing so 4 times less with 1MOA vs .25MOA. The M1 turrets are great for getting precise shot placement further on down in range but I'm willing to accept a few inches off.
    It comes down to yours (or your buddy's) personal preference. I am very content with my setup and will have no problem getting another Leupold.
    One thing that will help regardless of optic choice-cheek pad. Get a cheek pad or one of the kits that can be installed. The higher rings or bigger objective lense just keeps pushing you towards a "chin weld." Good luck
    I digitally inserted Jaba the Hutt into the original Star Wars-Eric Cartman

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Lots of good advice here.

Feedback Score
    SS 16x42 priced under 300 if you are on a budget.
    I flunked math but I can estimate range and calculate elevation and wind drift with the ballistics data in my head.

Feedback Score
    ^ Agreed or check out WOTAC if your buddy is just shooting out to 200yrds no need to drop 1k on glass. There are plenty of cheaper options that will get all he wants and more done for that price range.

Feedback Score
    If you can't afford Vortex I'd look for the Bushnell sales, since they are discontinuing some old models (3200 and 4200 ?) in favor of "Elite" model.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In the kilobuck price range it is hard to beat a Leupold.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Scope

The new Weaver 3-15x50 Tactical is an excellent
    choice.. 30mm..FFP, etched reticle, illuminated..
    I picked one up last week after reading the review
    On SniperHide.
    Liking it a lot on my GAP 300WM.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    for a budget build I would go with the Super Sniper, they're Mil-Dot & are dependable. Plus the service if you have any issues is outstanding. The money he saves could be used on Ammo & Range/Training Time.
    "Remember No Matter How Good You Are; There's Always Someone Better or Luckier Than You."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In the price range the OP mentions, I'd go for one of the new Vortex Viper HS series scopes, which will be widely available early this summer. I have the Viper in the current model and have been really pleased with it for a scope in this price range.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category...hs_riflescopes

If the person can step up a bit over $1K for glass, consider Nightforce (best, but most expensive), Leupold Mk 4 series (next best), IOR Valdada (similar to Leupold in quality/price range). For a good optics dealer who will answer questions and give you a great deal, talk to Scott at Liberty Optics. No I don't get any kick-backs :-), but I've bought multiple scopes from them and I keep going back.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtbutt View Post
    I have had several 700's over the past couple years and right now the only 1 I shoot on a regular basis is my SPS-Tactical. It has the 20 in heavy bbl.
    I just bought that same rifle today.

Quote Originally Posted by 184SFS View Post
    for a budget build I would go with the Super Sniper, they're Mil-Dot & are dependable. Plus the service if you have any issues is outstanding. The money he saves could be used on Ammo & Range/Training Time.
    That's what I'm going to start with. I've seen several recomendations for these for guys who don't need variable power.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast