Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it possible?

Feedback Score
    So it is possible to hit 1k with a16" gas gun, just take persistence and patience and alittle luck. I'm thinking 168gr A-Max or the 175gr MatchKing. I've got a 1-10 inch twist in my pipe. Might even try LAPUA 155 Scenar but at $45-$50 that a lot for playing around. Thank guy . I feel better now!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    My instructor at GPS Defense used his personal gun (PoF .308) with a 14" barrel, Leupold scope and 175gr. match ammo and was able to hit steel plates at 800+.

I was hitting out to 864 (max.) with a 5.56 SPR type rifle in the course using a Leupold scope and Black Hills match ammo.
    Awesome.

Coming from a guy that shortened barrels on his rifles 30+ years ago, and took crap from a lot of the "experts" for doing so, makes me happy to hear about that kind of short barrel shooting.

Feedback Score
    Its definately possible. Is it worthwhile? The 308 round period isn't a ideal round for 1000 meters. BC isn't as high, velocitys drop past 800. That being said, its definately easier in a bolt gun to reach that with the 18 inch barrel. How much so is relative because with an 18 inch barrel the difference in velocitys of bolt and gas is not that much.

Feedback Score
    I remember reading a thread that mentioned Chris Costa shooting a 16" SR25 EMC at a class and getting hits out to 1,643 yards. While not ideal, it certainly goes to show what's possible. I don't know any details, just passing on what I read. I'll try to dig the page up.

Tspeis
    Last edited by Tspeis; 03-29-11 at 22:06.

Feedback Score
    The rifle/barrel/twist combination was designed for 800/850 yards and met the army requirements of hitting targets 90% of the time during trials.

It has since met these requirements in the field as well.

However, there are now several cases of documented hits at 950+ yards.

At these ranges, with a 16" barrel, the bullet is coming in from a very high angle. If you want to go for the longer ranges, use an 18" barrel as you will get a little more velocity and greater stabilisation. You might also consider a faster twist (such as 1-10") if you intend to use heavier projectiles.

The 20" match barrel does make a good 1,000 yd gun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12