Thread: .260rem and 6.5 creedmore in the MWS

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

.260rem and 6.5 creedmore in the MWS

I have long time been a fan of the .308 round, until I started handloading and reading up on other calibers.

I see the MWS is supposed to get 6.5 creedmore and .260rem barrels this summer that I was thinking of trying one of them out. However, I have zero experience with anything other than .223 and .308. The max range I can regularly shoot is 700yds.

Would I see any advantage by trying one of these other calibers? If so, What should I expect? I handload and have read that handloading is almost required to shoot either of those calibers.

2x per year there is a 1400yd shoot I have been trying to attend for 2years but it is always full by the time I hear about it. Would either of these calibers get me to 1k plus with any consistency?
    Last edited by m1ajunkie; 03-21-11 at 18:56.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    The advantage over 308 is 6.5 rounds have a lot better BC so you get much less wind deflection and drop.

There are factory rounds for both but nowhere near the selection as 308. Hand loading would probably be a good idea for both rounds.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    The advantage over 308 is 6.5 rounds have a lot better BC so you get much less wind deflection and drop.

There are factory rounds for both but nowhere near the selection as 308. Hand loading would probably be a good idea for both rounds.
    The SD is higher to which only realy matters for hunters I suppose.

As far as bullets go if punching paper I would go with the 123g SMK. Also you should expect great things from the combination. Did they give any indication as to barrel length? The wind bucking abilty and the increased speed are the two buggest positives.
    Last edited by ICANHITHIMMAN; 03-21-11 at 22:02.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If you can't go beyond 700m, .308 will keep up just fine. As much as I'm sold on 6.5mm options, the high BC .308 options really do quite well, and are still quite similar to those in performance, with the ability to run factory loads that aren't nearly as scarce.

From bolt guns 6.5 can go past a click just fine - even from a semiauto you should be able to get to pretty big ranges, but loading the heavier bullets out to mag length may be the biggest limitation if you go with .260 or Creedmoor.
    Last edited by TehLlama; 03-21-11 at 23:35.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    The SD is higher to which only realy matters for hunters I suppose.
    Not really. A bullet could have very good sectional density yet have terrible terminal performance. What if it icepicks straight through without expanding, or conversely, what if it completely disintegrates? SD is merely a ratio of mass to frontal area.

Like Belmont31R says, rounds like .260 Remington give you
    - better wind performance and a flatter trajectory than .308
    - less recoil and less energy at the target than .308.

DemigodLLC.com has some articles relevant to this thread.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The more I am reading, the more I am thinking I should just stick with .308. I am already familiar with the round and all my reloading is already set up for .308.

I think the .308 should serve me well until I get to the chance to shoot 800yds +.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kartoffel View Post
    Not really. A bullet could have very good sectional density yet have terrible terminal performance. What if it icepicks straight through without expanding, or conversely, what if it completely disintegrates? SD is merely a ratio of mass to frontal area.

Like Belmont31R says, rounds like .260 Remington give you
    - better wind performance and a flatter trajectory than .308
    - less recoil and less energy at the target than .308.

DemigodLLC.com has some articles relevant to this thread.
    Solid fact, I suppose I was basing it on my own experiences. The higher SD is great for quartering shots on game at longer ranges with hunting bullets.