Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Reliability comparisons AR (m4) vs mini vs ak

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat_Rogers View Post
    Having evaluated several thousand as part of my job, i am fairly familiar with the platform, and while the ergonomics suck and the sights are pathetic, it is a more robust gun and designed from the outset to be a fighting gun.
    In terms of ergonomics, it seems to me the two largest points are the safety - no where near as easy to manipulate as the AR - and the speed of mag changes. Beyond that, I think it becomes more a matter of preference/familiarity.

The iron sights, I agree - they are rudimentary compared to the AR though I've seen some younger guys (with good eyes) do some mighty good work with iron-sighted AKs. For my tired eyes I'm going to give the Krebs rear aperture sight a try and of course, with an Aimpoint mounted the quality of the irons is at least somewhat immaterial.

BTW, it's good to see vendors like Mark Larue taking an interest in the AK platform - I look forward to the release of his Aimpoint side mount that will allow co-witness. Let's not forget that up until now, ARs have been getting all of the attention for this kind of stuff!

The trump card of the AK is what you alluded to above - its was designed from the ground up to be a simple, reliably rugged fighting rifle. What it gives up in refinement it more than makes up for in robustness. And it turns out most of the rough edges can be dealt with very effectively.

I don't have far to go to make my Krebs rifle all I want it to be. Until the Larue mount is available I am tweaking the Aimpoint mounting (have a lower ring on order), will give the Krebs aperture sight a try, will replace the grip with the Tapco SAW grip and experiment with different ammo to wring as much accuracy out of it that I can. I'm betting I'll end up with a pretty good rifle.

Feedback Score
    I have several AK's, including a few of Marc Krebb's beauties. My Enhanced Speed Load Version is truly a step above the Liberian/ VietNamese etc peasent gun it was designed for.
    I talked Brother Larue into doing that side mount 18 months ago. OK, talked to him about it, he has other priorities (like keeping Americans alive), but i'm encouraged to see that he is considering getting it into production. According to him, 5 minutes ago, it could be next week, next month, or next year....

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat_Rogers View Post
    According to him, 5 minutes ago, it could be next week, next month, or next year....
    LOL, I guess that is to be expected! When it's available I'm sure it will have been worth the wait.

Magazine changes - hit the gym and carry 90-round drums!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345