Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: T1 or Reflex Dot

Feedback Score
    As others have said, you need to start with the mount for your magnified optic. The height probably isn't optimal, and you've also bridged the gap between your receiver and rail. Some folks can get away with that, but I've personally experienced issues with zero shift and given that you need a new mount anyway you might as well fix both issues in one go. Larue and ADM both make really solid options.

For your t-1, reference Trident's set-up, or mine shown here (which also gets into how far forward or back to place the t-1). The Larue offset works well because it aligns properly with the bore. LMT showed off a new offset mount at Shot that does the same. There are other mounts and, again, some folks can make them work just fine but those that don't properly align to the bore are a bitch to zero and can generate weird POI shifts at different ranges.

The last advice I'd give is to spend some time swinging your rifle offhand and try to honestly decide whether it is in fact viable as a general run-and-gun rig from a weight perspective. My SPR is right on the edge, weight-wise, and your rig looks heavier than mine.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by oalocke View Post
    As others have said, you need to start with the mount for your magnified optic. The height probably isn't optimal, and you've also bridged the gap between your receiver and rail. Some folks can get away with that, but I've personally experienced issues with zero shift and given that you need a new mount anyway you might as well fix both issues in one go. Larue and ADM both make really solid options.

For your t-1, reference Trident's set-up, or mine shown here (which also gets into how far forward or back to place the t-1). The Larue offset works well because it aligns properly with the bore. LMT showed off a new offset mount at Shot that does the same. There are other mounts and, again, some folks can make them work just fine but those that don't properly align to the bore are a bitch to zero and can generate weird POI shifts at different ranges.

The last advice I'd give is to spend some time swinging your rifle offhand and try to honestly decide whether it is in fact viable as a general run-and-gun rig from a weight perspective. My SPR is right on the edge, weight-wise, and your rig looks heavier than mine.
    This is excellent advice...esp. the last part, I initially ran this setup on a 18" SPR build w. a nxs 2.5-10x32 and it was just to heavy to really ever think about running and gunning on the move with it. Once I ran it on 16" recce w. the 2.5-10x24, it was much more easy to run and gun and cant b/t primary and secondary optics.

eta...if you can run your offset t-1 like Oalocke's is than that is the optimal way to run a secondary. The further back you put the secondary RDS, the faster and easier it is to pick up it's sight picture when you cant. Note that the tricky part is balancing b/t glass mount, secondary mount, and then their locations on your said configuration.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 03-26-11 at 13:13.

Feedback Score
    thanks for the advice gentlemen! it looks like i'll be doing more OT and saving more money for parts to complete my weapon. be well all
    Last edited by blackbox; 04-01-11 at 07:58.
    blessed are the peacemakers...

Feedback Score

Heres what it looks now. I purchased the offset mount for the t-1 and I think that it looks really nice. I'm waiting for the qd mount that will replace the rings shown here. I can't wait to go zero this in Thank you all for your help!
    Last edited by blackbox; 04-03-11 at 13:21.

Feedback Score

This is what it looks now. I purchased the offset mount for the t-1 and I think that it looks really nice. I'm waiting for the qd mount that will replace the rings shown here. I can't wait to go zero this in Thank you all for your help!

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Maybe just the angle of the pic but how do you have a full FOV with the aimpoint behind that giant front bell?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Looks like a 1" tube with a 56mm bell? What's the mag range on that?

I think you are going to have a hard time finding a quality ring mount combo for that.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    Maybe just the angle of the pic but how do you have a full FOV with the aimpoint behind that giant front bell?
    ~~ You're right, it doesn't clear the bell... IT SUCKSSSS!!! I need to find an alternative to use the T1. Any recommendations?

Looks like a 1" tube with a 56mm bell? What's the mag range on that? I think you are going to have a hard time finding a quality ring mount combo for that.
    ~~ I'm gonna try the LaRue SPR 1.93, I did some research and said that it'll work. It is a 1" tube with a 56mm bell. I really hope that it fits or else I'm gonna have a $200 paperweight. I haven't taken it to the range yet but its a 10x40.
    Last edited by blackbox; 04-07-11 at 07:40.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbox View Post
    ~~ You're right, it doesn't clear the bell... IT SUCKSSSS!!! I need to find an alternative to use the T1. Any recommendations?

You are going to need a rail mount to get the T-1 away from the optic. Knight, LaRue and Daniel Defense are the first names to come to mind. On the Knight and LaRue models the T-1 is directly attached to the mount. The DD has a rail which the T-1 rail grabber.

It is a 1" tube with a 56mm bell. I really hope that it fits or else I'm gonna have a $200 paperweight. I haven't taken it to the range yet but its a 10x40.
    ? It's a 10x40x56mm? I'm guessing Bakasa? Your original optic looked like a 3x9x40mm Leupold, probably 1"? If so you had a perfectly serviceable optic to start out with, you just needed good rings to go with it.

I cringe when I see rifles that are "over glassed". Giant objectives and super mag have thier place, but they are not optimal on a field orianted AR. Since you feel the need for a a T-1 in a off set mount field use vs shooting tiny groups at range is your implied requirement. Leupold has several entry level 3x9 1" optics that fit, and several other optic options come to mind as you move up the scale.

My preferred range on a precision are is a 2.5x10 or even a 3.5x10. I my 2.5x10 Nightforce NXS has at 32mm objective. I just recieved a Pride-Fowler 2.5x10 40mm and a 1x6 24mm to T&E. 40mm is about as big as I am willing to go for a AR even a 7.62 based one.

From what you appair to have on hand I would put you original scope in the LaRue mount that is in bound. Mount your T-1 configuration on it and start shooting. If you can return the big ass optic.

After you've put some rounds down range with it look at a higher priced 30mm model.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Here are some samples using my DMR with a Danial Defense mount. I shoot left handed.
    Insight MRDS, due to the hight of the MRDS this combo's not bad.

Aimpoint T-1 on the same DD Mount. It sits lower and I would need to change the location of my light to make it optimal.

If you use a cat tail you have to be aware of it when you set up your mount.

The T&E Pride-Fowler 1-6x with their red dot.

My Light Carbine set up with just the 1-4 NXS.

Within my prefered window, again I'm not sure that I like using a mini-red dot in conjuntion with a magnified optic. One of the reasons that I use a cat tail is to aid in managing the optic, also one of the reasons I don't like anything above 10x and want at least a 2.5 bottom end. I run the optic on it's lowest setting and only zoom up if I'm in a stationary position. If I'm going to move then I zoom down again.

Canting the rifle inboard to use the off set red dot takes some getting used to. If you don't have a lot of training time availible I would probably stick with just the primary optic and learn to manage it. I'm preety sure the PF was set up for a righty to shoot canted, but it's so high up I'm going to look into shooting it where it is currently.

I'm looking foward to T&Eing the Pride-Fowler. My NXS 1-4 is nice, but having the extra zoom on the PF along with the rapid reticle should make for a nice GP optic.
    Last edited by DMR; 04-09-11 at 08:24.
    pro-patria.us

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast