Thread: $1500 to spend on an optic for a .308

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)

$1500 to spend on an optic for a .308

Going to build a new .308 off an SPR action, now I'm trying to figure out what sort of glass I want to put on it. Looking to ring silhouettes out to 1000, mostly to 800 as that's what I have access to regularly. I'm not shooting for groups and I'm definitely a huge sucker for the dragunov style ranging that the IOR SSG 2.5-10's had. Anyone have some recommendations?

Edited to add: I know that reticle setup isn't the most popular nor precise, but it's just one I tend to like. I have a Hensoldt with a similar ranging reticle right now but I can't see myself dropping that sort of coin for a fun gun.
    Last edited by KAC Lover; 03-25-11 at 18:44.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    this is a question with multiple parts. first thing I think about is the range and power of the scope. it may just be me but a 7.62 capable of some accuracy just seems to beg for a 2.5-10x. your needs or mission may be different than what I have in mind but you need to define that first.

$1500 gives you a nice sized pool to splash around in but if it was me doing the looking, I'd start with Nightforce. they're pretty well respected, seem to be built well with good glass and they have several reticle options, one of which might just blow your dress up...

also, I'm hearing more and more good things about the Vortex optics but I confess I have no personal experience to base a recommendation from however they are probably worth giving a glance. there's probably plenty of other choices for what you're willing to pay but I just gave you the easy answer. good luck...

edit: uh, I just went back and saw that you already defined your mission as an 800-1000 yard rifle. 10x on the top end is probably not really adequate but I can't help questioning your mission. how often do you intend shooting this distance and wouldn't a bolt gun be a better choice for a dedicated rifle at the limits of this cartridge?
    Last edited by ra2bach; 03-25-11 at 19:32.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    My fault I could've probably been more clear about an "SPR action" I always forget about the AR's. I meant an FN Special Police Rifle 308 action, which is a bolt gun I'll probably shoot to 800 on a weekly basis, but to 1000 probably only once every 2 months or so unfortunately, until the 1000 yard range in Winchester Virginia opens up.

Feedback Score
    The Vortex PST 4-16 FFP could be worth looking into. It's getting some good reviews on Snipers Hide. I may go that route later this year to replace the Leupold M8 that's on my Rem 700. It will probably need a 20 MOA base to get you to 1,000+.

Feedback Score
    I'm also looking for a new scope to put on my 308 bolt action and am in a similar budget.

Even though they aren't available with your reticle choice, $1500 will get you into a Leupold Mark 4, either LR/T (second focal plane) or ER/T (first focal plane) with your choice of clicks (1/4 moa or .1 mil).

The 4.5-14 and 6.5-20 will both reach out to 1K.

The Vortex Viper PST is also well within your price range and has some different reticle options.

Nightforce is going to run you a bit more money for SFP, about $1800, the FFP scope (F1) will cost you about $2300.
    Last edited by NUTT; 03-26-11 at 09:54.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I would strongly recommend getting a scope that matches the Turrets to the reticle. The old way of estimating range in mils and then calculating MOA for your turrets is ghey and outdated. I know you can get MIL turrets now, and I'm pretty sure you can get MOA reticles (that's how I would go)
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    I'll probably end up going with a nightforce reticle in moa as I haven't been able to find anything with a similar setup to the zeiss as far as a rangefinder goes. Rather unfortunate as I remember USO used to make them; I still have an old fixed 10x somewhere with the nato style ranging reticle, but I guess they're out of fashion.
    Last edited by KAC Lover; 03-30-11 at 15:45.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Agreed with the MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL. Mixing and matching is a PITA.

I also would get a FFP if your reticle of choice has any sort of ranging feature. SFP ranging reticles mean you have to be on one specific power setting for it to work since the size of the reticle changes in relation to the target. FFP the reticle stays the same size no matter what power you are on, and thus the ranging will work at all magnifications.

I think your best bet would be a slightly used NF with zero stop, FFP, and matching reticle/turrets.