Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: interesting PMC ammo problem

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

interesting PMC ammo problem

A few of my co-workers and I went shooting yesterday at Quantico. One of my co-workers bought a 20" ArmaLite AR (at the shop we work at). It's a flat top (with flat top clamp on factory gas block), SureFire M500 rifle length handguards w/integral light. He added a VLTOR E-Mod complete kit (and is using the stock CAR length buffer spring and CAR 2.9oz buffer) to it and a Trijicon 4x ACOG w/LaRue mount. He replaced the bolt with a BCM unit (kept the ArmaLite carrier). I assembled the SureFires on this rifle about 6 months ago and had to replace the handguard cap to get them to fit.

Anyway he had bought a few hundred rounds of PMC Bronze. His rifle would short cycle (would eject the empty but fail to pick up the next round) about 40% of the time with this ammo and he was running it very wet with oil.

This stuff works in my carbine length guns just fine (I've shot a few thousand rounds of the stuff in the last 6 months or so). I'm thinking it might be like the Radway Green and Serbian stuff where it's pressure drops off too fast and can't cycle a 20" gun reliably.

His ran great with my Federal XM193 and American Eagle 55gr. Another interesting thing is in one of the boxes of XM193 I gave him (2007 stuff) had a M856 tracer round (orange tip) in it (DOH!).

I think this is what we'll be seeing in future times as ammo is getting scarce. (poor quality)
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Even more interesting considering what creme-puff loads the American Eagle 55gr has been in the past...
    NOT in training for combat deployment.

Feedback Score
    FWIW, the first 400 rounds through my S&W M&P 15 recently were PMC Bronze. There were two short-cycles, both (apparently) lube-related. (We were breaking-in the shooter, too. )
    KintlaLake
    KintlaLake Blog

"Blasphemy is an epithet bestowed by superstition upon common sense." (Robert Green Ingersoll)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I just bought 2 boxes of this stuff at the local Gun store. I'll make a note to run it thru my "fence post" to see how it works.

I still have a few boxes of those Priv short strokers too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    my s&w m&p15t will not shoot wolf ammo at all- it will eject the used case but will not pick up the new one--it shoots american eagle ae223 like a champ and also seller and bellot 55 grfmj like a champ but will not digest any wolf at all-next to try is pmc and remington umc

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I put my 2 boxes of PMC in my shooting tote. I hope to get out this weekend. Once I have my fence post at least 80-100 rounds dirty, I'll give the PMC a try. (sometimes marginal ammo will run on a really clean gun)

If I can, I'll try to run some in a full auto 20 incher. Poor cycling ammo really acts up in full auto. I fired some of the Priv M193 in full auto on a 20 incher. Talk about slowing down the cycle rate!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Well I finally got the PMC out, and ran it thru a 20 inch rifle.

The weapon had about 50 or so rounds thru it already.... so it was out of the clean and freshly lubed mode.

Anyway, I could tell right away that this stuff was not right. I could feel the cycle of the weapon slow down significantly. Semi auto struggled along with it, but full auto killed it. It wouldn't even complete a 3 round burst.

There's definitely an issue with the powder charge. I only shot one of the 20 round boxes I had. It didn't take long to get the same results that Gotm4 reported above.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Took the other 20 rounds I had out yesterday. The ammo ran much better with my silencer mounted on my 20 inch barrel. (same weapon, just as dirty as the previous attempt.)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I've seen over 100k of this stuff fired recently and have'nt seen any issues. Most through 14.5-16" guns 25-30k through 20" Bushmasters.

I've put alot through my Sabre/PK middy and 14.5 Colt, all 100%

Mark
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Are you talking current production? I know the OLD PMC had a great reputation. But the Current PMC in the Black/Bronze box (.223) is fussy in my 20" bushmaster upper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast