Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Condition Three carry = fail

Feedback Score
    They say a wise man learns from his mistakes. I say a wiser man learns from others' mistakes.

Some lessons to be learned? Just my simple observations.

1. Awareness.
    Never be in condition white.

2. Keep your weapon accessible and ready to fight.
    All skill is in vain when an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket. One is none. Two is one. And three might just make it.

3. Don't forget about your other weapons.
    I will try and not judge (the guy died for his actions-whether in his control or not), but I will share an example that may illustrate what I mean. Don't forget you have hands and feet. The guy was being kicked. If he's close enough to cut me, I'll be close enough to cut him.

There have been examples of people in force on force training trying to perform an immediate action drill at contact distance instead of fighting. They attempt to correct a malfunction while being stabbed/attacked, instead of focusing on the fight. Getting stuck in an OODA loop focused on the weapon instead of focusing on the fight and utilizing the weapon as a tool to assist you in winning the fight. But it's not the only tool. Just a thought.

Your first responsibility after being attacked is to bring the fight to them and put them on the defensive. You know, how dare someone try and bring harm to you! Who do they think they are!? No one has that right! Like the saying goes, get fightin' mad and win the fight. Bring it to its natural safe conclusion for you. Obviously you're not going to shoot someone just for punching you in the arm, but you are going to use the appropriate force option to neutralize the threat presented.

We can second guess all day, who knows, it may have been to the dead guy's advantage to have carried a weapon ready for a fight or when that weapon did not function to have a secondary weapon or his hands ready to aggressively, viciously, and with singularity of thought turn the fight against his attackers. Who knows...the way it ended up for him was his death.

I would hope at the very least such a video inspires to train harder. I know it does for me. I don't want to die that way. If it's my time to go, I'm taking the bastard with me. Otherwise, I will make it home every day. I think that's the mindset you have to carry.

Train, train, train. Always stand with your back against the wall. Keep your weapon handy and your mind in the right place. Stay physically fit and strong.

That's what I would get from this. It's not a complete analysis, but just some quick general lessons to think about.
    "In my mind, I'm never going to die in no ghetto. Absolutely never....If he cuts me, the fight is on. If I'm shot, the fight is on. I'm not losing no fight to no scumbag out there in no ghetto. Period. That's it. No son-of-a-bitch out there is going to get me. The only way he gets me is to cut my head off, and I mean that. I'll fight you while I got breath left in me. I don't think any of those animals in that street can beat me....You don't lose the fight." Jim Phillips

Feedback Score
    Well said UCop. While we can look at the victim in the video and find the flaws, I think the best thing we can do is learn from it and try not to make the same mistakes. Honestly though far too many CCW holders make the assumption that simply carrying a gun makes them "safe". Many of the customers I've worked with have told me that they don't plan on chambering a round when they carry, and look at me as though I'm nuts when I tell them any weapon not in a gun safe is loaded and at the ready. Although to be fair I work on the very liberal side of Seattle so its somewhat to be expected

Feedback Score
    I've watched this video several times in a row and my first reaction was to shake my head at his condition 3 weapon.

After watching it more, my conclusion was that he was dead when he went to work that morning.

He receives the first bullet impact at about 8 seconds into the video.

You can tell by his body language at about ten seconds that the hit was effective. This leads me to believe that the lethal wound may have been received at that 8 second mark.

Before he had a chance to bring his weapon into play, he had likely already been mortally wounded.

Then, with the limited time he had remaining in his life, he had to spend a significant portion of it bringing his weapon on-line.

He was in a corner, with no cover, mortally wounded, and receiving effective fire from two moving targets. These two moving targets used surprise, then fire and manuever to close the distance and disarm the victim. Whether the attackers planned this or it was accidental is speculation.

He is unconscious at 33 seconds, (25 seconds after the initial impact.) Looks dead by about 40 seconds (32 seconds after the initial impact.)

Bottom line is there are very very very few people alive in this world who would have survived this attack, even if a condition one weapon was sitting on the counter in front of them.

Still, by carrying a weapon he could have used those few remaining seconds to neutralize his attackers and prevent anyone in his store from becoming additional victims.

A condition one weapon would have allowed him to bring any possible training into play.

Final analysis = dead no matter what, but he could have taken his attackers with him.

Feedback Score
    Honestly, if I were to ever own a jewelry store I'd wear Kevlar and have a buzz box to get into the store. I've just seen way too many of these videos in which the assailants walk in blasting.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Although it was a handgun shown in the video, I think the title is appropriate for any firearm that one is carrying.

Feedback Score
    No way to determine rather the victim was carrying condition 3 or 1, simple fact many people in poor countries have access to unreliable firearms that are second hand and rarely maintained. And India isn't known for private ownership of fine handguns.

He was also shot before he ever had a chance to draw his weapon so returning fire wasn't going to benefit him any, simply kept alive until the adrenaline wore off and the shock kicked in and it was game over.

Conclusion - life is a cold unforgiving bitch and carrying even in condition one isn't a guarantee that some one isn't going to kill you before you have a chance to even draw your firearm.

I understand too is an adverb and to is a preposition, I still prefer using to in place of too.

The way I see it I'll save maybe 5-10 minutes over my lifetime not typing that extra o at the end of to. Even typing up this explanation saves me more time than typing that extra o

Cheers,
    Mr. Smiles

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dexterbase View Post
    I've watched this video several times in a row and my first reaction was to shake my head at his condition 3 weapon.

After watching it more, my conclusion was that he was dead when he went to work that morning.

He receives the first bullet impact at about 8 seconds into the video.

You can tell by his body language at about ten seconds that the hit was effective. This leads me to believe that the lethal wound may have been received at that 8 second mark.

Before he had a chance to bring his weapon into play, he had likely already been mortally wounded.

Then, with the limited time he had remaining in his life, he had to spend a significant portion of it bringing his weapon on-line.

He was in a corner, with no cover, mortally wounded, and receiving effective fire from two moving targets. These two moving targets used surprise, then fire and manuever to close the distance and disarm the victim. Whether the attackers planned this or it was accidental is speculation.

He is unconscious at 33 seconds, (25 seconds after the initial impact.) Looks dead by about 40 seconds (32 seconds after the initial impact.)

Bottom line is there are very very very few people alive in this world who would have survived this attack, even if a condition one weapon was sitting on the counter in front of them.

Still, by carrying a weapon he could have used those few remaining seconds to neutralize his attackers and prevent anyone in his store from becoming additional victims.

A condition one weapon would have allowed him to bring any possible training into play.

Final analysis = dead no matter what, but he could have taken his attackers with him.
    I agree with this analysis. I think training and having a round in the chamber would have probably only increased the odds of him killing one or both of his attackers.

Regardless of the condition of his gun, he was surprised and overwhelmed. This thread should be about being in condition white.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    That was just unpleasant. Pointless murder will always bother me, no matter how many times I see it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123