Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why Free Float a Carbine Rail System?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    To me the KAC RAS is at least one of the Top Dogs, and it's not FF.

All things equal, I agree. But if you have to take off the FSB (with most FF you have to) then all things are not equal.

I said "most" were free floated - there certainly are good, non-free floated rails. I never said there weren't so I am not sure what's confusing.

Personally, if I were spending that kind of money for a rail having someone remove the FSB wouldn't matter to me to get exactly what I wanted. But that's just me.

Feedback Score
    I like the ease of the Troy FF Rails.
    Plus it is not very expensive IMHO.

Feedback Score
    The foremost reason for me has always been the increased cooling factor. As GotM4 and KevinB have already pointed out, the better ones act as pretty good heat sinks. They also allow better airflow around the barrel. How much of each of these they do can be debated, but I personally can tell a difference.
    I got to be part of a informal test where we ran 3 mags full auto through various uppers, with an industrial grade digital thermometer. We noted the handguard temps at their highest point, the barrel temps, and the time it took the barrels to cool back down to a specific point. Free floated ones with good quality systems consistently had lower handguard temps, and faster barrel cooling rates.
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Excellent info...

thanks, guys.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Wow! Great responses, guys! I love the insightful info gained here as opposed to the mindless BS at the "other" AR website.
    "I can't think of nothin' finer than a fine naked woman holding a gun." --- Frankie Figs

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    I'm out the door for a mission - but I will add to it when I'm back.
    Remember...
    When all else fails...

Duck!

cover your 6 and bring back some stories.
    “Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!” Isaiah 5:20

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Kevin is my fookin hero, really Kev stay safe man!

All this FF for non-precision stuff confuses me,

I understand it is more solid for lasers/optics, but some non FF systems are pretty damn solid.

Cooling? Perhaps, but is it going to REALLY keep you from getting a cookoff or bbl meltdown?

Without destruction testing its all just talk on the internet.

For me, as an engineer, I am hesitant to put a big ass lever needlessly on a critical part.

The part about different expansion rates interests me, need more info on that guys!

Just talking out my ass here, as you can tell

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123