Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite 9mm defensive loads

Feedback Score

Favorite 9mm defensive loads

I'm curious to hear what your guys favorite defensive loads are in 9mm.

I usually stick with 124gr +p Federal Hydroshocks. I hear alot of people prefer the 124gr +p Speer GoldDots. I was about to order some of the GoldDots from midways but then came across Black Hills 124gr +p which use GoldDots as well. I'm not sure which one I should order, I know Black Hills is supposed to be extremely good ammo so I guess I'm kinda leaning towards them right now.

What are you're guys thoughts?

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    First off, I wouldn't get TOO wrapped around the axles about choosing defensive loads in handguns. Things like Speer loaded Gold Dots vs. Black Hills loaded is virtually insignificant on paper. If they all pass the 12" test (or are on the list in the above link) then it comes down to reliability, feeding, availability, and just plain voodoo.

You may also want to consider which and how many 9mm platforms you intend to feed. When I was carrying 9mm I went with the 124+P Gold Dots as well because I was feeding a Glock 19 and 26, and it was my understanding that these rounds maintained their wound properties better in the short barrel of the 26 than some of the others.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    My favorite is Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ in 9mm. For guns smaller than the Glock 26 (like my Kahr PM9) I like Federal 115gr +P+.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    First off, I wouldn't get TOO wrapped around the axles about choosing defensive loads in handguns. Things like Speer loaded Gold Dots vs. Black Hills loaded is virtually insignificant on paper. If they all pass the 12" test (or are on the list in the above link) then it comes down to reliability, feeding, availability, and just plain voodoo.

You may also want to consider which and how many 9mm platforms you intend to feed. When I was carrying 9mm I went with the 124+P Gold Dots as well because I was feeding a Glock 19 and 26, and it was my understanding that these rounds maintained their wound properties better in the short barrel of the 26 than some of the others.
    Well I have a Glock 17 and I'm going to be getting a 19 then a 34 eventually. So it's only going to be Glocks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Thanks Doc that chart and analysis is very helpful. That should be made a sticky.

Another thing I was curious about is how much you guys practice shooting paper with duty loads?

I always practice with WWB 115gr because I get it locally for 17.00 per 100. I usually try to shoot 500-600 rounds per outing so shooting duty ammo at the rate would take me broke quick! Do you guys just suck it up and buy the good stuff or do you buy a 100 rounds or so of duty ammo and take along a couple hundred rounds of practice stuff or what?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmdugan84 View Post
    Thanks Doc that chart and analysis is very helpful. That should be made a sticky.

Another thing I was curious about is how much you guys practice shooting paper with duty loads?

I always practice with WWB 115gr because I get it locally for 17.00 per 100. I usually try to shoot 500-600 rounds per outing so shooting duty ammo at the rate would take me broke quick! Do you guys just suck it up and buy the good stuff or do you buy a 100 rounds or so of duty ammo and take along a couple hundred rounds of practice stuff or what?
    When I get a new handgun, I try to test a few hundred rounds of the intended carry ammo just to verify my gun is reliable with this ammo. Other than that, one or two times a year I shoot my old carry loads and get fresh ones. I do practice with WWB or AE 115gr FMJ.

To the first poster, I like Winchester Rangers 147gr because where I live I dont have underpenetration issues caused by winter clothes .

Feedback Score
    I like Hornady Tap 147gr loads.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I feed my G19 with Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    BHA 115 +P GDHP or 124 +P GDHP, all platforms. Including pistol caliber carbines.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast