Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NY gunshops and there "RULES"

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

NY gunshops and there "RULES"

So whats the deal with some gunshops in NY. Why is it some of them feel you need to prove you have a pistol permit to sell you ammo or even better you have to show them your permit to even look at a pistol?

Only reason I bring this up is my buddy just got his permit so I took him to the local Gander Mountain to look at some pistols. We did a bit of window shopping and decide to handle a few so he can get a feel for them. He gets a salsmen and tells the guy what he is looking for ya da ya da ya da.

Guy was very polite then he says I have to see your permit before I can uncase the pistol, then he turns to me and says I need yours too sence your with him. I looked right at him and asked why? He proceds to tell me its the law. I said no its your store policy and its not benifiting you guys. He says to me we are not a toy store, I droped it and we left.

What do you guys think about that am I just to sensitive. They make you show them your permit if you want hand gun ammo to. I dont get it I can go to any one of more than a dozen gun shops in the are and be handed any pistol I ask about or buy ammo no questions asked.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Better get used to it. Its not going to get any better. If you want to see so real commie shit come visit MA. The only real option is to more to a more gun friendly state. The Northeast is a lost cause except for NH, VT and ME.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    From a free state, and having sold guns since 1987, I'm 98% sure he's trying to avoid a straw purchase.

Down here, were there isn't a permitting system, it's something you watch out for, but up there where you have to have a permit, it's one extra step they can use to cover their ass.

Now, don't misunderstand, I'm not condoning it, but at the same time it's the permitting process itself which is really to blame.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    NYS law states you need a pistol license to buy handgun only ammo. most salesman dont realize only 25 and 32 are the only handgun only rounds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc3081 View Post
    NYS law states you need a pistol license to buy handgun only ammo. most salesman dont realize only 25 and 32 are the only handgun only rounds.
    What section?

I believe that NYC has a local ordinance like that, but I have never seen any statewide law stating it.
    Last edited by tgace; 03-29-11 at 21:00.

Feedback Score
    NYS is awful. I love how at Gander here in Rochester they keep the pistol ammo behind the counter, didn't know you needed a permit to buy it, I've never tried personally. But what if I have a 9mm Carbine?!(which i don't). NYS' strict gun laws are because of NYC, they want to be their own little state down there, let them be; because of them our laws are worse in my opinion, I wish they would just secede.

I would have said the same thing to the guy. Research and handling the weapon before you buy it is pretty damn important, I don't think that they understand that.

Feedback Score
    You DON'T need a permit to buy handgun ammo in NY. That is store policy, not law. NYC has some different laws regarding ammunition purchase, but it's not State Law.
    Last edited by tgace; 03-31-11 at 15:36.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    You DON'T need a permit to buy handgun ammo in NY. That is store policy, not law. NYC has some different laws regarding ammunition purchase, but it's not State Law.
    You know, I actually knew that, I have no idea why I typed that. Must be tired. But my thing with Nyc is that the representatives down there can vote on laws that have to do with the whole state, while they have their own stricter gun laws, it's just not right

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

NYS Penal Law 270.05

5. Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision four of this
    section, it shall be unlawful for any dealer in firearms to sell any
    ammunition designed exclusively for use in a pistol or revolver to any
    person, not authorized to possess a pistol or revolver. The violation
    of this section shall constitute a class B misdemeanor

Feedback Score
    Not listed as such in my penal law book.

270.05 is possession/sale of noxious material.

Sub 5 has to do with possession of a self defense spray.

http://law.onecle.com/new-york/penal...05_270.05.html
    Last edited by tgace; 04-01-11 at 21:34.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast