Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NY gunshops and there "RULES"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Jesus,look it up yourself.
    Section 270.00 paragraph 5

Feedback Score
    Learn something new everyday. I wonder when the last time that section was charged?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It only applies to dealers in firearms,it doesn't seem to apply to private sales.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Arrow

He probably doesn't want to waste time with tire kickers, and does that eliminate them right away. Not terribly 'inviting' as a business practice, but then again, THAT'S the politicians' fault, & time is money too.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I saw his attitude as a poor business practice he is just a salesmen at a chain store so I suppose it their fault. But the window shopper of today is the buyer of tomorrow. I’m in my 30s so is my buddy we don’t look like dead beats.

If you walk into any of the local gun shops the attitude is 180 degrees in the other direction. They welcome you and ask if their, is anything they can help you with and then offer to show you anything from the case that might peek your interest. They fully admit to being and adult toy store.

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    From a free state, and having sold guns since 1987, I'm 98% sure he's trying to avoid a straw purchase.

Down here, were there isn't a permitting system, it's something you watch out for, but up there where you have to have a permit, it's one extra step they can use to cover their ass.

Now, don't misunderstand, I'm not condoning it, but at the same time it's the permitting process itself which is really to blame.
    This is exactly what's going on.

That and a smattering of ignorance (yeah hard to believe but true).

I know a local gun shop owner who proclaims the crown of sole expert on gun related knowledge in our "entire region" who would not order a Choate folding stock for a .410 shotgun because he said folding stock violate the AWB.

He is wrong, so i just bought it online and wrote him off.

He is also inclined to tell you that large ammo purchases (1K rds or more) or ordering ammo on line will prompt a visit by NYSP and or ATF. And at a minimum will get you on a "list." OOOO SCARY!!!!!

Ignorance about NY's ACTUAL gun related laws is fairly common on every level from the ordinary LEO through the gun shop owners. It's no wonder people in NY get nervous when they want to explore the sport.

Oh and here is another quick WTF thing. For Christmas my wife decided that it would be kinda cute to buy a brick of .22 and put it my stocking (yeah she's cool). So she goes to Walmart (yeah I know) and the JO behind the counter tells her he needs her HG permit to sell it to her.

She says "I don't have one." And that she is buying it for her husband for Christmas. He says oh ok and sells it to her.
    Last edited by Pathfinder Ops; 04-02-11 at 11:58.
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Yes very stupid I dont think its the straw thing but maybe. My best friend worked the gun counter at Dicks sporting goods (the chain store) in an area out side the city limits her in Rochester. The policy of the store was to put all the shotguns in the backroom on friday night for the weekend to black people would not buy them. Can you belive that? Like the guys who buy guns legaly are going to use it in a crime.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    Like the guys who buy guns legaly are going to use it in a crime.
    Actually, yeah, they do. I worked at a time when we had a major drug war down here between two rival gangs, and saw it.

Unfortunately, bad people buy guns out of stores just like good people do.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am not sure tha tit is anywhere in the written laws, but it seems to be a custom in NY State that gun stores will not show you a handgun and not let you handle it unless you have a NYS Pistol permit. I encountered this downstate when I lived on Long Island.

The limits on handgun ammo according to the written law is for ammo that can be exclusively be used in handguns. So if you are buying handgun ammo for a pistol calibered carbine, it is legal to sell to you.

Feedback Score
    This is subsection 4 from the same statute.

4. Sales of ammunition not prohibited. Nothing contained in this section shall be construed to prevent, or interfere in any way with, the sale of ammunition for revolvers or pistols of any kind, or for rifles, shot guns, or other arms, belonging or which may belong to any persons whether as sporting or hunting weapons or for the purpose of protection to them in their homes, or, as they may go abroad; and manufacturers are authorized to continue to manufacture, and wholesalers and dealers to continue to deal in and freely to sell ammunition to all such persons for such purposes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast