Thread: Glock RTF vs RTF2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Glock RTF vs RTF2

I was just curious what is the difference between a Glock RTF and a RTF2? I know that RTF stands for rough texture frame. I also know they come gilled or straight. What did Glock make the most of? Which one came first the gilled or straight. Any information would help.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    There were never any RTF guns made or sold. There were 3 rough texture patterns made. RTF2 & RTF3 were the only two ever displayed, with RTF2 the only one that ever made it to production.

The RTF2 guns came with both straight and curved slide serrations (and possibly TWO variants of curved serrations, forward and reverse). No idea which had a higher production run. Curved came first on the RTF2 guns and never appeared on any Gen 3 or Gen4 guns, as far as I know.
    Last edited by RAM Engineer; 03-30-11 at 09:55.

Feedback Score
    i thought the original RTF was what all the GEN 2's and 3's were, because the gen 1's didn't have much of a texture to the grip. No?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by badness View Post
    i thought the original RTF was what all the GEN 2's and 3's were, because the gen 1's didn't have much of a texture to the grip. No?
    My understanding is that the Gen3 Glocks are pretty much "RTF". The RTF2 designs were released separately later, but have since been discontinued since Gen4 is now in production.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scootle View Post
    My understanding is that the Gen3 Glocks are pretty much "RTF". The RTF2 designs were released separately later, but have since been discontinued since Gen4 is now in production.

This is exactly correct.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It's too bad, as the RTF2 is my favorite Glock. Thankfully, they still have some at the shop. Going to get another
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    The RTF frame texture was developed in response to a request for a more aggressive frame texture than what was on the Gen1 Glocks.

The RTF2 and RTF3 frame texture was developed in response for a request for a more aggresive frame texture for use in humid/wet enviroments.

The "gill" serrations on the RTF2 Glocks were only done on the first runs of the RTF2 Glocks. After compliants, it was discontinued for the standard serrations.

Glock selected the RTF3 frame texture for the Gen4 Glocks, due to user compliants that the RTF2 frame texture was too rough for non-duty use and the RTF3 frame texture was the middle ground between the RTF & RTF2 textures.

After the release of the Gen4 Glocks, Glock discontinued the RTF2 Glocks for civilian sales. But, would keep it available as an option for Gov/Mil/LE agency orders.

Summary:
    RTF = standard frame texture on the Gen2 & Gen3 Glocks.
    RTF2 = rougher frame texture that is an option on Gen3 Glocks.
    RTF3 = standard frame texture on the Gen4 Glocks

Feedback Score
    I would love to have a Gen 3 G17/19 with RTF3.

Also a Gen 3 G21 SF with RTF3.

Pleeeease...