Thread: Where to mount to front sling point on a "precision" AR

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Where to mount to front sling point on a "precision" AR

I just got done building an AR in 6.5 Grendel with the plans on competing in practical rifle field type matches that are shot from 250 to 875 yards. You have to carry your gear from stage to stage during the match. This will be my first entrance into shooting an AR over 250 yards. I've got it set up with a Harris bipod which has it's own sling mount, I used a YHM free float rail so they have a spot for a standard sling swivel on the side of the rail at the end, I would just need to buy the stud that installs into the rail's hole... Or I have a Blue Force Gear rail attachment that I could use. The downside of the Blue Force Gear attachment is that it would require me to run the sling off the side as there is no room on the bottom rail with the bipod mounted.

If I went with the standard sling swivel attachment I could run the sling off the bipod if I wanted it on the bottom. I'm just not sure how much I would use the sling while shooting NM style while standing. I assume if I need to shoot while standing then a bottom mount is a must as the side mount would twist the gun under recoil.

You guys got any input for me?

Feedback Score
    Check if using the sling while standing is legal in the competitions you're entering. It's not in NRA high power matches.

FWIW, I have an 11" rail on my precision AR-15. The sling mount is attached ~8.5" from the receiver, which leaves room in front for a quick-release bipod.

—Andreas
    Last edited by ayank; 03-31-11 at 08:25.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    It's legal in this match now matter how I have it setup. My concern not doing much sling assisted shooting is where is really needs to be to be helpful to me. I'm assuming it needs to attach to the bottom of the rail? If that's the case I'll have to attach it to the bipod because of how my rail is set up. It's smooth behind the rail that the bipod attaches to. I'm thinking I need to go that way and not a side mount like I have it with the Blue Force Gear attachment point on the side rail.

Feedback Score
    You really want the sling to attach to the bottom of the rail so that you can crank down on it. A side attachment point would torque the rifle to that side, which I can't see as desirable.

If you're under time pressure, learn to set up a hasty sling. If you have more time, a deliberate sling provides an additional measure of stability. There are also a number of quick-attach slings that connect to a permanent loop around the bicep. They're common in the biathlon where time is of the essence.

—Andreas

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Nice, thanks for the links. That's what I was looking for.