Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Larue PredatAR 7.62...any information?

Feedback Score
    Titleist..question for you...would you go with an 16" or 18" barrel? I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one. I will be using it for classes, fun and protection (hopefully never needed)...

Thanks for your input!

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dewman View Post
    Titleist..question for you...would you go with an 16" or 18" barrel? I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one. I will be using it for classes, fun and protection (hopefully never needed)...

Thanks for your input!
    I know I'm not Titleist, but I'm going to chime in anyway.

I would go with the 16" for the purposes you've listed.

An 18" is usually more for a DMR type set up and you'd probably want to put some glass on it. For running around in a carbine class, I think you'll find a 16" to be a lot more maneuverable.

I'll be ordering the 16" hopefully in the near future.
    Last edited by huntsimp; 04-04-11 at 19:30.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, huntsimp! You confirmed my first thoughts. Yep...I really wasn't looking for a DMR setup. No doubt on some good glass...

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Thanks, huntsimp! You confirmed my first thoughts. Yep...I really wasn't looking for a DMR setup. No doubt on some good glass...
    No problem.

I'm sure Titlelist will have some more to add, especially since he's had some trigger time behind an OBR.

I've been looking for another 308 AR and I really think this one fits the bill.

Another thing you may want to think about is the cost of ammunition, especially if you plan on running it through a course.

Feedback Score
    I agree on this one fitting the bill. The weight is something I will appreciate. Already doing some searches on Ammo, especially due to upcoming price increase. Already added an additional 2k 5.56 to inventory...will add additional 3k by EOM; and probably will buy 2-3k 308 by EOM

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    I agree on this one fitting the bill. The weight is something I will appreciate. Already doing some searches on Ammo, especially due to upcoming price increase. Already added an additional 2k 5.56 to inventory...will add additional 3k by EOM; and probably will buy 2-3k 308 by EOM
    Nice. I am looking to do the same. Trying to get rid of a few S&W J-frames on GunBroker to fund some ammo. Send me a PM if you come across any good deals.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    To be honest I've found that the .308 AR as a run and gun setup doesn't ultimately work that well. While I love bringing out a T1 equipped OBR for that "OH SHIT LOOK AT THAT FIREBALL" effect, it's not very practical given the ammo weight, ammo amount, weapon weight, recoil, etc. Frankly besides the cool 2 minutes of "I've got the biggest gun" there's a lot less to be gained then you might think.

I've slowly started converting my gun into an SPR/DMR role, with the eventual S&B 1-8x, bipod, etc. Frankly if you're going full tilt into a precision role, I say roll the dice and snag an 18. Or snag a 16 and just realize you'll be slicing a little bit off your effective range (not a ton, but a little).

Knowing what I know now, I'd have gone 18". But only because this will become a more precision rig. While I love driving a 7.62 gun as a big ass carbine, the practicality and value proposition of it starts to wear off fairly quickly.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)

Think before you run a 308 through a course.

The 5.56 is the better 0-300M weapon which is what a carbine course focuses on. The 308 is heavier, recoils more, and you have less ammo capacity. The 5.56 is perfectly effective.

Besides even if you were going to do that...get a FAL. Don't run a perfectly good precision gun through carbine drills. Not what it was designed to do. Can you do it? Sure but you can do a lot of things that don't work out too well, and just don't make sense. The FAL is the gun you want to run like that if you're going to be hard headed and do it anyways. Adjustable gas system, cheap easy parts replacement, cheap mags, and barrels that are better equipped to handle that volume of fire. Im not sure why anyone would purposefully run a match SS barrel for carbine drills. Its like using gold flaked toilet paper to wipe your ass with.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Titleist View Post
    To be honest I've found that the .308 AR as a run and gun setup doesn't ultimately work that well. While I love bringing out a T1 equipped OBR for that "OH SHIT LOOK AT THAT FIREBALL" effect, it's not very practical given the ammo weight, ammo amount, weapon weight, recoil, etc. Frankly besides the cool 2 minutes of "I've got the biggest gun" there's a lot less to be gained then you might think.

I've slowly started converting my gun into an SPR/DMR role, with the eventual S&B 1-8x, bipod, etc. Frankly if you're going full tilt into a precision role, I say roll the dice and snag an 18. Or snag a 16 and just realize you'll be slicing a little bit off your effective range (not a ton, but a little).

Knowing what I know now, I'd have gone 18". But only because this will become a more precision rig. While I love driving a 7.62 gun as a big ass carbine, the practicality and value proposition of it starts to wear off fairly quickly.
    That makes total sense, Titleist; much thanks. The scope you noted is one that i've been looking at as well. I already have a dd 16" v3 w/ a t-1.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post

Think before you run a 308 through a course.

The 5.56 is the better 0-300M weapon which is what a carbine course focuses on. The 308 is heavier, recoils more, and you have less ammo capacity. The 5.56 is perfectly effective.

Besides even if you were going to do that...get a FAL. Don't run a perfectly good precision gun through carbine drills. Not what it was designed to do. Can you do it? Sure but you can do a lot of things that don't work out too well, and just don't make sense. The FAL is the gun you want to run like that if you're going to be hard headed and do it anyways. Adjustable gas system, cheap easy parts replacement, cheap mags, and barrels that are better equipped to handle that volume of fire. Im not sure why anyone would purposefully run a match SS barrel for carbine drills. Its like using gold flaked toilet paper to wipe your ass with.
    Excellent analogy ! Handled a FAL before; there pretty nice. Will be sticking with my 5.56 for carbine drills.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast