Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LMT MWS 308 Bolt Carrier Finish Chipping Off

Feedback Score

LMT MWS 308 Bolt Carrier Finish Chipping Off

I am not sure if it was this forum or another, where I read that some other owner had their bolt carrier finish was chipping off. I just noticed this happening on mine when I went to clean it off for the first time. I only shot less than 300 rounds through my rifle. I have a Young Manufacturing National Match M16 Chrome BCG on my AR-15 and have put 1700 plus rounds and my bolt carrier chrome does not look like this, no chipping what so ever. So I am hoping if someone has the same issues as I do on the LMT bolt carrier, I would appreciate it would let me know, and if you contacted LMT about this issue and what LMT's response was to this matter. I have attached pictures of what I am talking about. Thanks in advance.

FYI. I am not sure if anybody else is interested, but you can get the SureFire flash hider that is standard issue on the British version of LMT MWS rifle directly through SureFire. Initially I was told by LMT by email that the SureFire flash hider that it was "Export Only". I smelled B.S. So I contacted SureFire and they told me I can buy it directly through them. Here is the SureFire flash hider on my rifle.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Feedback Score
    Looks like poor prep work before it was coated.

Feedback Score
    Hard to tell without knowing their process. I'd call them and post what they say.

Feedback Score
    Being a new LMT .308 MWS owner myself, this issue needs to be inquired about. If you find anything out please post your results.
    Thank you!

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    They had some isolated problems early on with adhesion of the coating. They have since changed the process.
    LMT replaced mine. You need to contact them for an RMA number before you send it back.

Feedback Score

Update on my carrier

SPR1,

Thanks for the info. I did a little more online digging, and other people mentioned flaking on AR15.com with their LMT MWS chrome bolt carrier having the same issue. Some other owner posted to contact Gene @ LMT. I emailed him, he replied quickly, same day. He wants me to send back my bolt carrier, I am not sure if they will just exchange it or re-dip it in chrome. I glad to see that that they are concerned about this problem and are fast to respond to their customers. So we shall see what happens.

Feedback Score
    Out of curiosity what is Surefire's price on the flash hider?

Feedback Score
    I just checked mine and i'm having the same problem.

I'll contact them today and see what they say.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turbofire383 View Post
    Out of curiosity what is Surefire's price on the flash hider?
    At the time I paid for my Surefire flash hider, I could not directly order through their website, the SureFire phone rep told me that they were in the process of updating their website. I paid $144 including shipping at the time I paid for it. It was ordered thru their flash light division, but they had to request the order to their suppressor division. It took around 12 days. I know the battle comp flash hider is popular with people that have the LMT MWS rifle, but I can not justify $220 for a flash hider.

Update: LMT emailed me that they are going to give me a new bolt carrier that has gotten their new chrome dipping process...
    Last edited by bouncer; 04-06-11 at 16:43.

Feedback Score

New BCG

I just got back my new bolt carrier group from LMT via UPS today. Took some pictures of what it looks like. LMT does not chrome the area where the bolt fits into anymore, thus eliminating the chipping of the chrome when bolt goes back & forth. Before I got my new bolt, I inquired about a "New Hole" that someone posted on AR15.com, when they got their new BCG back. LMT told me that the hole: "We just moved it and made it larger to vent gas out of the port window so that it isn’t blowing right back into the receiver."

Retrospect, I should of just kept my old bolt carrier, and just removed the chrome off in the area where the bolt resides in myself and saved myself a trip down to the UPS distribution hub and the cost of shipping. I have my doubts about the larger hole venting out more gas.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast