Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LMT MWS 308 Bolt Carrier Finish Chipping Off

Feedback Score
    The chrome in my BCG started to chip after about 80 rounds. Sent it to LMT and got one back without the chrome, cant really tell if the vent holes are biger or not since I have nothing to compare it to. Like you I wish I had just removed it my self and save the shipping charges. I would have much rather had the older one I had instead of the one they sent me which has some pretty bad tooling marks in the cam pin hole. Shoots fine but I am really anal wen it comes to these things.

So are they putting chrome again on their BCG, just with a different process?

By the way OP I had started a thread here last year when mine started flaking but it was closed for some reason.
    Last edited by OTO27; 04-18-11 at 16:06.

Feedback Score
    Hmm... I was going to send mine back tomorrow. Should I just keep it? What's the harm of the chrome chipping off?
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncer View Post
    I just got back my new bolt carrier group from LMT via UPS today. Took some pictures of what it looks like. LMT does not chrome the area where the bolt fits into anymore, thus eliminating the chipping of the chrome when bolt goes back & forth. Before I got my new bolt, I inquired about a "New Hole" that someone posted on AR15.com, when they got their new BCG back. LMT told me that the hole: "We just moved it and made it larger to vent gas out of the port window so that it isn’t blowing right back into the receiver."

Retrospect, I should of just kept my old bolt carrier, and just removed the chrome off in the area where the bolt resides in myself and saved myself a trip down to the UPS distribution hub and the cost of shipping. I have my doubts about the larger hole venting out more gas.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maize View Post
    Hmm... I was going to send mine back tomorrow. Should I just keep it? What's the harm of the chrome chipping off?
    It becomes foreign matter that can end up in bad places. Chances are it wont do any harm, but for most of us this is a chance not worth taking.
    Last edited by OTO27; 04-18-11 at 20:07.

Feedback Score
    Hey OTO27, here a picture of my old BCG before I sent it back to LMT. I have to say my old BCG was better machined then the one I just got back from LMT. I am anal when it comes to attention to detail with regards to quality control. I have a C.A.D. back ground and time in the military made me anal about every small detail. Here is the "Old BCG" and my "New BCG" you will notice hole pattern is different.

Maize, If I were you, I would not waste my time, money & effort sending it back. If I was you I would just try to chip off the rest of the chrome that is coming off somehow. When mine was chipping off, I did not notice a performance difference when it was happening. Like I said, I think my old BCG was machined better than the one I got back.

I am disappointed with the whole situation, when people pay good money for rifle that is supposedly the pinnacle of LMT's product line. I am sure Larue Tactical would not have sent out their OBR 7.62 rifles with such flaws. LMT should of caught this oversight during the beta testing of the MWS rifle way before the LMT MWS rifle of went on sale. I have read online that that the coating on the British BCG's are different, I wonder why? I am also wonder why this problem was not generally known and I & others had to find out through word of mouth on online forums. The gun shop where I bought my rifle did not even know that there was a problem with the BCG, not until I showed them a picture off my camera.

Well, I am sure my new LMT BCG will will perform just fine, just like what OTO27 has already said with his new LMT BCG. If I am not happy with the performance, maybe I will wait till Young Manufacturing will offer a complete chrome BCG coming out in 2-3 months for AR-10 rifles. I already have a Young Manufacturing M16 National Match BCG on my AR-15 and I am totally pleased with the quality and performance of the YM BCG.

Maize, I sent you a P.M.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OTO27 View Post
    It becomes foreign matter that can end up in bad places. Chances are it wont do any harm, but for most of us this is a chance not worth taking.
    So your advice is to send it back then? How difficult is it remove the remaining chrome?

Sorry must have missed the other response.
    Last edited by Maize; 04-18-11 at 21:01.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So your advice is to send it back then? How difficult is it remove the remaining chrome?

I don't know if removing the remaining coating is the best approach. In doing so you run the risk of voiding the warranty if lmt suspects you have boogered around with the carrier yourself. I would send it back until correct as my experience with lmt was hassle free.

Feedback Score

I never attempted to take it off my self so couldnt say how hard it would be. I know for a fact LMT will replace it but your gona have to fork the cash to ship it there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OTO27 View Post
    I never attempted to take it off my self so couldnt say how hard it would be. I know for a fact LMT will replace it but your gona have to fork the cash to ship it there.
    Not sure what I want to do. I wish they could just re-chrome my original and send that back to me. I'm willing to wait.

I'll ask Ryan.

Feedback Score
    Not sure what I want to do. I wish they could just re-chrome my original and send that back to me. I'm willing to wait.

I'll ask Ryan.
    I know what you mean, I felt the same way. I would just give them a call and ask them if they could remove it and send you back the original. Worst thing they can do is say no and give you a new one instead.

Feedback Score
    Mine is comming off also, the rifle shoots much better than me. overall I am very happy with the rifle and the system...every new product has some sort of issues when they first come out.

I already have a RMA number and shipping it back this week

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast