• Suunto M-3

4 4.49%
  • Other

11 12.36%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite compass

Feedback Score

What is your favorite compass

It is a good thing that only moderators can see how many times I have deleted and reposted this...

I am still calling this Part II

If you pick "other" please post what your choice is.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score

Other

Brunton 8010G

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I have been using a Military Lensatic for so long that it has become second nature to me. I guess that there are better ones out there but to be honest I would say that I have never even looked. After seeing this thread I might just have to “expand” my horizons and look at what else is out there.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I believe that a lensatic type compass is more accurate by sighting. While just patrolling the Silva Ranger style is easy to look at while on the move and maintain course. I carry both for those reasons.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Suunto MC-2 Global

I like not having to worry about having the right compass for the region I'm operating in. I find the functions on the base very intuitive, useful, and easy to teach. Declination adjustment is a plus. The luminescence of the dial works just fine for night use. The clinometer is good for backcountry use. It's an easy to use piece of kit that doesn't seem to intimidate novice navigation students as much as other compasses seem to do.

I wouldn't mind having an MC-2 or a Silva Ranger set up in mils, though. That would be sweet!
    Last edited by Tortuga; 04-04-11 at 21:59. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The Silva Ranger and Suunto MC-2 Global are pretty close … can't go wrong with either. Never used a Brunton 15 … but the kids learn initially on a Brunton Classic.

But I prefer and voted for the Suunto Global only in that I've used it extensively on wilderness hiking for years.

The Private Citizen
    Liberty — Independence — Responsibility — Resolve

Feedback Score
    victorinox

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    USGI tritium. I still have a couple of good ones.

My back up compass is a the Suunto M3 that I keep in my pocket for quick reference and survival purposes if I have to jettison the rest of my gear.

Feedback Score
    I've been using my Silva Ranger for over 30 years & I'm beginning to get the hang of it. There's nothing wrong with the military lensatic either.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    USGI Tritium is my favorite.
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast