• Suunto M-3

4 4.49%
  • Other

11 12.36%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite compass

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I like the Silva Guide. I bought the Ranger online, it was a great compass but freaking huge. The Ranger does everything I need it to do and it fits well in my shirt pocket.

http://store.silvacompass.com/produc...e_426_Graphite
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    USGI lensatic.

Feedback Score
    Like many, I'm overly familiar with the USGI Stocker and Yale tritium. I've carried one for years. I always carried a simple Silva or more recently Suunto baseplate type compass too. These are what I've always done land nav with. The lensatic had just been going for a ride in my pack. I almost never used it. I stopped carrying it. I keep it in my gear because they do have there uses. So does the M2 Transit.

General Nav? These days the MC-2G.

Muddyboots
    Dirty AR Club

"Lube and GO!-If I wanted to clean out carbon I'd be a chimney sweep!"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Suunto MC2-G
    I usually work in the southern hemisphere so I need a global compass. When I switched over to GPS as primary (became way to dependent on it) on one job I was not paying attention to where I was and the GPS broke I realized I was very rusty on my compass/nav skills I now try to regularly over the course of the day transfer waypoints onto the map, so if GPS goes tits up I can get home.
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    I've only ever used the Cammenga 3H and it works so I stick with it. Plate types like the Silva Explorer and the Brunton 7 seem to be vastly more popular among the backpacking community (at least on the East Coast) because of their weight and size.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've been using a regular Military Lensatic compass since the late 80's when I was in. The one i have is the one that I had in the Army.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I know I said the MC-2G was my FAVORITE compass, but as far as what compass I use the MOST, it's the little Suunto Clipper I keep on my G-Shock.
    Last edited by Tortuga; 04-14-11 at 23:14.

Feedback Score
    This question (with about hundred votes) is on my facebook page also.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    I like the Silva Guide. I bought the Ranger online, it was a great compass but freaking huge. The Ranger does everything I need it to do and it fits well in my shirt pocket.

http://store.silvacompass.com/produc...e_426_Graphite
    Not a compass expert enough to have any grounds for comparison, but a couple years ago, I got the Silva Guide as well for the features and, like you said, the convenient size.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Can somebody educate me: Aside from the visibility in the dark, are there features in a military lensatic-type compass that a typical Silva, like the Ranger or Guide, would not have?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast