• Suunto M-3

4 4.49%
  • Other

11 12.36%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite compass

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I would say one of the best things is they a rugged as heck! You could probably cave someone's head in with a few whacks and then still use it.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Can somebody educate me: Aside from the visibility in the dark, are there features in a military lensatic-type compass that a typical Silva, like the Ranger or Guide, would not have?
    They are different animals really... it seems that a person that learned to use a lensatic compass in the military is comfortable with it, and sticks with what they know.

The obvious difference with the military compass is the lens and sighting system... some say it this system is more accurate, but the big difference is that the military style compass is what is called a "card" type compass... notice that the numbers are all on the rotating card and the bearing is read against a fixed lubber line on the compass housing.

A compass like the Silva Ranger (one of my favorites) is a needle type compass and requires aligning the rotating dial with the needle to orient the compass...

This is my take on it:

Military type lensatic - Rugged and simple, very easy to use for taking and staying on a bearing, not so friendly when it comes to working on a map with it though, lots of folks stick the compass in their pocket an rely on a seperate protractor like the GTA 5-2-12 we all know and love.

Commercial Base Plate style - More versatile, but maybe a bit intimidating to some, often this style compass functions as a map protractor and all-in-one tool.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Discreet Case 28 from BFG

Well that was the wrong post sorry gents. Here is what I wanted to share:

New Silva Ranger 515 CLQ Precision Compass for $31.99

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com...s-2801078.html
    Last edited by usmcvet; 04-16-11 at 01:29. Reason: wrong thread
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Well that was the wrong post sorry gents. Here is what I wanted to share:

New Silva Ranger 515 CLQ Precision Compass for $31.99

http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com...s-2801078.html
    A heads up to anyone looking at this... make sure you are comfortable with using a Quadrant compass

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Good catch! I did not know what you meant at first. So just from a quick look it has 90 degrees on North, South, East & West not the 360 degrees most of us are used to?

Feedback Score
    Yes... think of it this way, it is divided into NE, SE, SW and NW quadrants. It reads Zero at North and South and the numbers increase within the quad, so W and E are both 90 degrees.

I find them cumbersome to work with for navigating on a topo, the extra math is just a hinderance... instead of an azimuth/bearing of 160, you have S 20 E when using the quadrant system.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Yeah I am already math challenged. I would not want the extra ass ache.

Feedback Score
    Being retired Navy, I never had a need for a compass.

Where can I learn land navigation using a compass?

Any books on the subject?
    "You won't rise to the ocassion, you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

NRA LE Handgun/Shotgun Instructor
    Pa ACT235 Firearms Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Evidently I lied earlier. I have an MC-2G, but use the M3-G more as it just hangs around my neck. Its a little too large for that and I hope to get something just like the M3-G but smaller for neck wear.
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast