Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Flare" for backpack

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

"Flare" for backpack

I am looking for a viable option to carry a few "pen" style flares in my backpack for signaling. I play in the high country of Colordado and venture off trail a lot to explore and have fun. I also spend a lot of time each summer four wheeling in the high country as well.

I would like to add a few flares to my kit that will be light and not take up too much space. I have seen "pen" flares but have been unable to source them in a hand-held/fired application.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance-

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    How about this?

http://www.bestglide.com/signal_flare_kit.html

Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    http://truflareusa.com/productcatalog.htm

Flares are a great signaling tool...but don't forget the longer-lasting signals (visable strobe, signal mirror, ability to build a smoke generator).
    Last edited by Tortuga; 04-06-11 at 08:17.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I carry one of the Orion Pocket Rocket kits. Works great, but remember to hold it well away from your head and use your other hand to cover the ear that's closest to it when firing. Little bastard is LOUD!

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    I too live in Colorado and have been almost stuck out in the back county a few time. I prefer to hike alone and where there aren't too many people. I carry the in my go Bag / day pack the Orion aerial flare.
    Have not used it yet, but I would hate not to have it if needed.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
    http://truflareusa.com/productcatalog.htm

Flares are a great signaling tool...but don't forget the longer-lasting signals (visable strobe, signal mirror, ability to build a smoke generator).
    Absolutely agree, sir. The great thing about a signal mirror is that it never runs dry. There have been documented cases of people rescued who routinely "swept" the horizon. An aircraft was out of earshot, but noticed the flash and investigated.

I have a signal mirror and a whistle with me whenever I am wandering about the countryside.

Thanks for the link, that looks very promising.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Having done a bit of search and rescue I'd say you'd be much better served with a strobe and a Mylar reflective blanket of some type to serve as a backing reflector (and keep you toasty). A pen flare is visible for seconds and for only a comparatively short distance compared to a strobe. A pen flare might also only give you a half dozen "exposures" whereas a strobe can flash for hours.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    Having done a bit of search and rescue I'd say you'd be much better served with a strobe and a Mylar reflective blanket of some type to serve as a backing reflector (and keep you toasty). A pen flare is visible for seconds and for only a comparatively short distance compared to a strobe. A pen flare might also only give you a half dozen "exposures" whereas a strobe can flash for hours.
    Not to mention the potential fire risk involved. You could really be up a creek if you get caught up in a wildfire.

One other item to add to the mirror/mylar blanket is a green laser signal device. You'll get excellent range and can use it at nighttime too (it works in the daytime also). They pack up small and last a long time. Just pack some extra batteries in your pack. They are getting very inexpensive these days too.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Excellent points guys! Always smart to have a multilayered approach to these things. I also carry a signal mirror, Mylar "space blanket" and a section of VS-17 panel. Don't have a strobe, but I'll add that to my shopping list.

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger seven View Post
    a section of VS-17 panel.
    The weight weenie in me caused me to dump the VS-17 and start carrying a section of orange parachute canopy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast