Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gonna pull the trigger on a OBR but which length 18" or 20"?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    Out of curiosity, what configuration is your buddy's remmy? 20" barrel? or longer?
    20" SPS Tactical

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    If you plan on getting a 300WM later on I would get a 16" 308 gas gun, and then make the 300WM the dedicated LR gun.

I would not consider any gas gun a reliable 1200 yard shooter. Not even most 24/26" bolt guns unless the conditions were right with a top notch shooter.

Look at the trend the British and the US are going to. 308 gas guns out to 800M and magnum bolt actions up to 1300-1500M. I figure it is only a matter of time before the USMC goes to a magnum bolt action now that they are getting M110 gas guns for intermediate use.
    So 18" for the win (looks a little better than the 20"), and start on the 300 Win Mag? Not a 16" fan, no reason, the 18 just looks like the perfect balance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mstennes View Post
    I always thought that you can get away a little shorter on bolt guns vs gas guns, due to gass loss to cycle the acton?
    It isn't significant. I've been shooting the 16" OBR and EMC along with an 18" Noveske to 1100 this week. They all do fine at that range and shoot along with the 20" guns on the line.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    We took 16 and 18 barreled suppressed Obr's to a mile and did it enough that it wasn't just lucky,,

while ot my top knowledge i saw no issue and had no issue taking steel to 1200 yards with either barrel i went 18 inch
    Like I said "tough", not necessarily impossible. The extra 50fps from a 20" can mean quite a difference at 1200 yards and would still be a better choice for more consistency at that range.

Absent knowing what kind of ammo, setup, targets you were using, you're also talking about dedicated military teams, with extensive knowledge and experience, superior ammo, a well-trained spotter you've worked with and probably lots of good dope.

If the OP is going to make that kind of time/money investment than he might be able to get out to 1200 with some kind of consistency but again it's no joke that pulling off a 1200-1600 yard shot consistently (in any kind of wind) with a .308 means you're a world-class shooter.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 04-15-11 at 09:15.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    Like I said "tough", not necessarily impossible. The extra 50fps from a 20" can mean quite a difference at 1200 yards and would still be a better choice for more consistency at that range.

Absent knowing what kind of ammo, setup, targets you were using, you're also talking about dedicated military teams, with extensive knowledge and experience, superior ammo, a well-trained spotter you've worked with and probably lots of good dope.

If the OP is going to make that kind of time/money investment than he might be able to get out to 1200 with some kind of consistency but again it's no joke that pulling off a 1200-1600 yard shot consistently (in any kind of wind) with a .308 means you're a world-class shooter.

I agree fully, we weren't shooting bull eyes, human ipsc sized steel torsos and head plates ammo was a mix of all factory blackhills and hornaday along with OBR's and nighthawks rifles leupold sb scopes and PR the h-58 made life pretty easy
    STEVE FISHER
    INSTRUCTOR
    Sentinel Concepts

Consultant for
    Trijicon
    midwest industries
    Nighthawk custom firearms

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I agree fully, we weren't shooting bull eyes, human ipsc sized steel torsos and head plates ammo was a mix of all factory blackhills and hornaday along with OBR's and nighthawks rifles leupold sb scopes and PR the h-58 made life pretty easy
    Can I ask what loads you were using?

I don't handload though I should, I've always gotten the best accuracy out of Hornady 165gr. I'll have to try 175 at 1200 and see if I get any kind of better results than I have in the past.

Feedback Score
    Can I ask what loads you were using?

I don't handload though I should, I've always gotten the best accuracy out of Hornady 165gr. I'll have to try 175 at 1200 and see if I get any kind of better results than I have in the past.

We had a huge variety there most was BH 308 168 and 175 loads IIRC

and in 300 we had Hornday from there hunting line up and some more BH in 338 it was all lapua ammo im sure
    STEVE FISHER
    INSTRUCTOR
    Sentinel Concepts

Consultant for
    Trijicon
    midwest industries
    Nighthawk custom firearms

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    it was all lapua ammo
    Mmmmmm...lapua.

Last edited by Gutshot John; 04-15-11 at 22:31.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123