Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonna pull the trigger on a OBR but which length 18" or 20"?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stIDvet View Post
    This should help with your decision. An 18" barrel will do you just fine, though in the video the rifle is a bolt action, it gives you an idea of what an 18" can do..

http://youtu.be/15qj032UJ1I
    I always thought that you can get away a little shorter on bolt guns vs gas guns, due to gass loss to cycle the acton?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    With reputable company's such as POF, LWRC, GAP, and even larue I guess, you will not have any issues with an 18" barrel.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    1200 with .308?

Damn, that's no joke the longest recorded kill was at 1350 yards using an M24 (24" barrel). That's going to be tough to pull off with a semi-auto with a 20" barrel.

You won't lose much accuracy with an 18" barrel, but you'll definitely lose some muzzle velocity/range.

20" is the only choice if you intend on hitting a 1200 yard target.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    1200 with .308?

Damn, that's no joke the longest recorded kill was at 1350 yards using an M24 (24" barrel). That's going to be tough to pull off with a semi-auto with a 20" barrel.

You won't lose much accuracy with an 18" barrel, but you'll definitely lose some muzzle velocity/range.

Our range is a old wheat field, lots of distance, no I just want to be able to hit out that far if possible, a buddy does it with his Remington 700, yea I know bolt gun, but I do want to be able to be consistant at 900-1000 with the ability to hit on out, future plans are for a 300 Win Mag, but for now this is my summer pruchase. Looking for a more of a do all long range rifle, with some coyoting (lots at the range) and ground hogging.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstennes View Post
    Our range is a old wheat field, lots of distance, no I just want to be able to hit out that far if possible, a buddy does it with his Remington 700, yea I know bolt gun, but I do want to be able to be consistant at 900-1000 with the ability to hit on out, future plans are for a 300 Win Mag, but for now this is my summer pruchase. Looking for a more of a do all long range rifle, with some coyoting (lots at the range) and ground hogging.
    Out of curiosity, what configuration is your buddy's remmy? 20" barrel? or longer?
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    If you plan on getting a 300WM later on I would get a 16" 308 gas gun, and then make the 300WM the dedicated LR gun.

I would not consider any gas gun a reliable 1200 yard shooter. Not even most 24/26" bolt guns unless the conditions were right with a top notch shooter.

Look at the trend the British and the US are going to. 308 gas guns out to 800M and magnum bolt actions up to 1300-1500M. I figure it is only a matter of time before the USMC goes to a magnum bolt action now that they are getting M110 gas guns for intermediate use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    1200 with .308?

We took 16 and 18 barreled suppressed Obr's to a mile and did it enough that it wasn't just lucky,,

while ot my top knowledge i saw no issue and had no issue taking steel to 1200 yards with either barrel i went 18 inch
    STEVE FISHER
    INSTRUCTOR
    Sentinel Concepts

Consultant for
    Trijicon
    midwest industries
    Nighthawk custom firearms

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    If you plan on getting a 300WM later on I would get a 16" 308 gas gun, and then make the 300WM the dedicated LR gun.

I would not consider any gas gun a reliable 1200 yard shooter. Not even most 24/26" bolt guns unless the conditions were right with a top notch shooter.

Look at the trend the British and the US are going to. 308 gas guns out to 800M and magnum bolt actions up to 1300-1500M. I figure it is only a matter of time before the USMC goes to a magnum bolt action now that they are getting M110 gas guns for intermediate use.

I wouldn't tell that to the guys we saw from a MIL team doing those types of shots + in 15-20 plus winds 800 and then some
    STEVE FISHER
    INSTRUCTOR
    Sentinel Concepts

Consultant for
    Trijicon
    midwest industries

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I wouldn't tell that to the guys we saw from a MIL team doing those types of shots + in 15-20 plus winds 800 and then some

800 is doable in that wind. My home range is a flat central TX plain where we get winds regularly to 25MPH, and when its particularly windy even more than that.

I have witnessed some really great shooters including Todd Hodnett try to shoot the 1k yard targets out there and not have enough success I would call a 308 a good 1k+ yard gun. At 1k yards the difference between a 18MPH wind and 20MPH means a miss or hit.

YMMV but I think the issue has been pretty well been ironed out by now. Of course there there one of examples of the 308 being taken further but that doesn't mean there are not much better calibers for shooting that far.

Feedback Score
    I agree fully, as we spent a week + with Todd at his place learning how to do it i admit the H-58 reticle made life much easier

if i knew i had too yes i could, if i knew i would be, it be 300 and up range.... if that makes sense
    STEVE FISHER
    INSTRUCTOR
    Sentinel Concepts

Consultant for
    Trijicon
    midwest industries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast