Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on 0-300 all purpose optic/scope

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Question on 0-300 all purpose optic/scope

After searching for a while and readin the stickies expecialy the 1-4 scope thread by c4grant, I now really cannot make up my mind. It seems like aimpoint is recommended for 0 - 100 yard, ACOG/aimpoint 3x mag for 100-300, and 1-4x scope for 0-300. If i am no hardcore shooter and just want something decent overall for up to 300yard fun with family, my best option would be 1-4x scope like the trijicon TR24/vortex? Or the acog33 would still be better due to its simplicity since my younger brother who is 13, my parents and me who is a complete nub would all be using it?

I did find similar threads but the more I read, the harder it is to make up my mind. Seems like everyhing has its pros and cons. Can someone who had a similar situation share their experience with me please. Also if I am completely heading in the wrong direction, please correct me. Lastly, sorry if you seen this asked before

-Dennis

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Sounds like you would be best served with an Aimpoint M2/3/4s, T/H-1, Pro and then an Aimpoint 3x magnifier.

(Just linking the first available link...no ties)
    http://www.laruetactical.com/pics/Ch...-602_Chart.jpg

While a TR24 is a spectacular jack of all trades 1-450yd optic, it sounds like it's a bit overkill for your situation.

The Aimpoint and 3x is simple stupid....idiot and bomb proof....no ultra high tech adjustments and ret's...and by extension those glass nazi's shouting to match ret's/adjustments

The 3x once you accumulate properly w. it can really give you the ability to reach out and touch something w. a much higher probable hit rate than w. a 1x...the vast majority of the time you will find the 3x is swung off set and the 1x is primary used in just that capacity.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 04-11-11 at 19:08.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For the rare occasions where I might shoot at distances greater than 100 yards with my Eotech RDS, I use an Eotech 3x FTS magnifier. If you prefer to use an Aimpoint RDS, the Eotech magnifier works fine with that too and is cheaper than the Aimpoint magnifier.

Feedback Score
    For "family fun" as you mentioned the 4x ACOGs are hard to beat. Brilliantly clear optics and BDC reticle. Anyone can shoot good with one, including at distance. It just does not get any simpler or easier - the only drawback is they are slower than a 1x variable or RD for under ~50 Yds, if speed or SD is paramount.

I personally favor a 1-4 over the red dot for 0-300 range use, but the house gun is setup with a micro Aimpoint. Due to some astigmatism and aging eyes, the RD is working less well for me than it once did. Less fun to shoot - especially past 100 yds.

I shoot a 1-4 Vortex PST in our CQB 3-Gun matches and 2.5-10 NF when targets will be way out there. In the later, the RD is simply not competitive, although this might be mitigated somewhat with a magnifier. With a 200M zero, using holdover at 300 is pretty easy. Go the 400 meters and things get sucky in a hurry. The ACOG, as well as a properly designed 1-4, take care of this.
    Last edited by shootist~; 04-11-11 at 17:37.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I feel the Trijicon TR24G with the green triangle reticle is the best all around optic for what you describe. As long as you know your zero and you hold-offs at 300yds the green triangle is simple to use. For 0-300yds with an AR platform carbine a ranging reticle isn't needed in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a TA01NSN that I couldn't be happier with that meets all of those requirements.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Cool, thanks alot for all the feed back! I think I now have decided to get a 1-4x scope. Speed/easy transation wont really be a issue when my young brother or my parent is behind the gun making like 1-2 Shots every minute. I think the 4x magnification will make it easier for them to hit what they want to hit. And if they want to hit the closer range, they can still do so by adjuesting it.

I do have to keep my mother's poor eye sight and my bro's lack to concentrate in mind. The aimpoint 3x and acog is really smthing I want but might not suit them the best.

Im actually fairly surprised that my family would want to go hit the range with me since my older brother did get some resistance from our parents when he first purchsed his rifle. But good for me cus i can make them pay for some of it and i get to keep it

Thanks again for all the inputs!

- Dennis

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have also found that there is very little to no speed penalty when using the TR24G with the green triangle reticle vs running my Eotech during CQB shooting drills.

The only issue I have with the TR24G is when shooting from unconventional shooting positions such as "Urban prone" and "SBU" or "Roll-over" prone position which don't allow you to get a perfect cheek weld on the stock. Even so, I haven't had a real issue getting the proper eye-relief from these positions, it just takes a bit more training to get into position and get the proper eye-relief as quickly.

I also highly recommend investing in one of the aftermarket "cattail" magnification levers.

I have had my TR24G 1-4x for nearly 2 full years now and I still think it is the best thing going at the under $1000 (with mount included) price point.
    Last edited by nickdrak; 04-11-11 at 18:36.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    As great as the TR24 is, I'd agree that an M4S or Aimpoint PRO might be a better option - still amazing out to 250m or so, faster and easier to use, cheaper out of the box, and a magnifier can improve it a fair bit.

That said, the TR24 is a great choice with a cattail installed - I just have no idea how it works for folks with compromised eyesight.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I currently have an aimpoint PRO on my rifle, thinking about goin to botach to pick up a 3x magnifier with the 45% off coupon i got. Keeping this as my set up. The 1-4 scope is going to be used primarily for making a distance shot easy as my family wont be practicing alot

Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    As great as the TR24 is, I'd agree that an M4S or Aimpoint PRO might be a better option - still amazing out to 250m or so, faster and easier to use, cheaper out of the box, and a magnifier can improve it a fair bit.

That said, the TR24 is a great choice with a cattail installed - I just have no idea how it works for folks with compromised eyesight.
    Thanks for pointing that out, definitely going to do more research on that!

-Dennis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast