Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: (COLT MT6400) permanently installing muzzle brakes with tactical handguards

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Most will tell you a fixed fsb is the strongest option. A low-pro block is great as long as its pinned but a rail mounted front sight still isn't as sturdy as the fixed fsb.

If you're using a lower 1/3 co-witness mount with your aimpoint, the fsb won't get in the way. My m4s sits in lower 1/3 position and the fsb doesn't get in the way at all, especially when I'm moving, I don't even see it. In a gunfight, when seconds count, I don't want to have to waste time deploying a second BUIS.

Quote Originally Posted by farcyde40 View Post
    do u guys really think i should keep the FSB?, whats the advantage?, i wanted the option of being able to fold both BUIS so i have a clear sight picture through the aimpoint.
    Last edited by Eric D.; 04-05-11 at 23:06.
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Before spending money replacing the FSB, go out & shoot your carbine. You might discover that the FSB isn't so bad with the Aimpoint
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by farcyde40 View Post
    do u guys really think i should keep the FSB?, whats the advantage?, i wanted the option of being able to fold both BUIS so i have a clear sight picture through the aimpoint.
    Yes as it is the STRONGEST GB and most RUGGED Front Sight available.

The FSB really does not cause any issues with you being able to hit your target.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Colt MT6400

I used a Colt MT6400 barrel assembly and bolt for a M4 build a year or so ago.

There are no threads under that monstrosity muzzle brake, I sent the barrel off to ADCO and had it cut down and threaded to accept a new muzzle device.

I would go the same route as you if I were in a retarded state, too bad we don't have a modern day Dr. King...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had Adco installl the same muzzle brake on my MT6400, and I'm very happy with it.

Good luck!

Jeff
    Last edited by Displaced Texan; 04-06-11 at 16:06.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Before spending money replacing the FSB, go out & shoot your carbine. You might discover that the FSB isn't so bad with the Aimpoint
    I agree. Trigger time is better than tacti-cooling your rifle, only to find out you didnt need that crap anyway...

Feedback Score
    ERIC D.- Your probobly right about the lower 1/3 co-witness mount, now that I think about it it makes more sense to go that route, plus saves a little cash. So am I correct in saying that the mount will raise my aimpoint so that the dot sits a little bit above the FSB sight???? Also what Larue mount is out there that will give me the lower co witness??

MISTWOLF AND DOA- You guys are right, Im definetly guna get some time in at the range with this thing before I get to crazy with accessories.

KIZNELLY- You're right about no threads under the muzzle brake.

Displaced Texan- That looks like a standard flash hider on your AR, I cant have those where I live.
    Last edited by farcyde40; 04-06-11 at 19:49.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    [/QUOTE] Displaced Texan- That looks like a standard flash hider on your AR, I cant have those where I live.[/QUOTE]

No sir....thats the EGW post ban comp. I live in NJ, and I cannot have an evil flash hider on my rifle either.

A closer look....
    Last edited by Displaced Texan; 04-06-11 at 20:38.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Farcyde40, I live in Ct. also (Shelton). I have always wanted a Colt. But the cost to modify a postban was too much and IMO not worth it. I bought a preban rifle ($1000), changed to a complete upper LMT that came with a Troy Rail ($650) and added an Vltor Stock ($200). Since your spending alot of money AND your going to spend time & money changing the Colt, another option would be to look at a preban. You can find a preban lower for less than a rifle. If your determined to buy the Colt rifle, it may be cheaper to buy an upper from BCM already configured to your needs. I would think to modify that upper would cost quite a bit in gunsmith fees. Just to remove the muzzle break you would have to drill out the welded pin, which is not easy. Its just a suggestion and good luck in your build. Keep us posted! Hey, where are you from? It would be great to meet other members that live in Ct. FYI, there is a gun show this weekend (4/9 & /10) in Wallingford.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiznelly View Post
    There are no threads under that monstrosity muzzle brake
    I can remember a few incidents where those things shot off the gun and ended up down range.

It's still a real M4 barrel, and I agree. Get it threaded and make something good out of it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast