Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about charging handle

Feedback Score

Question about charging handle

I am relatively new to M4's and I purchased my first last summer, a DD complete middy. My question is, when the last round is fired from the magazine, is the charging handle supposed to stay in the back/open postion?

I thought that it did and when I went shooting this weekend, but it did not. The bolt is open and charged, when a fresh magazine is inserted and the bolt closed, she's ready to go and works flawlessly. It is just the charging handle itself is in the closed position and when I pull back on it after the last round, there is no resistance and it can be easily moved back and forth as the bolt is already open/charged.

Is this normal?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Perfectly normal. The bolt should lock open, but the charging handle stays forward.

If the charging handle came back when the last round was fired it would hit you in the face.
    Last edited by SteveL; 04-06-11 at 09:13.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Steve, makes perfect sense. I obviously started in the world of handguns and I am used to their operation.

I'd be a whole hell of alot more lost if not for this site, thanks!
    Last edited by Falkon; 04-06-11 at 09:15.

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    Yup, the charging handle should "lock" to the upper receiver. After the last round and you insert a new mag, you can release the bolt with the bolt release or pull the charging all the way to the rear to "slingshot" it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Well, I really wouldn't suggest 'slingshotting' an AR since the bolt release is the preferred method unlike the handgun where either is perfectly acceptable.

ETA - when you look at the way the bolt carrier and charging handle interact, you'll see the charging handle will and should move freely when the bolt is locked open. If you manually lock the bolt open, you can then just push the charging handle back to the closed position, which I would do say the first time you load it. Once you insert a fresh magazine, with the charging handle closed since there's no reason to leave it in the open position, press the bolt release/catch. Like you said, you'll notice the charging handle will move freely before releasing the bolt and you could pull it back until it makes contact to release the bolt, though there's no reason to do it that way.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 04-06-11 at 09:33.

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Well, I really wouldn't suggest 'slingshotting' an AR since the bolt release is the preferred method unlike the handgun where either is perfectly acceptable.
    Yeah, shoulda mentioned that my dad (22 years Army RET.) saw me slingshot an AR. Gave me the "look" and said not to do it. Never told me why. Is it just bad muscle memory/tactic?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    May I ask why "Slingshotting" would be any different with an AR than with a pistol?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I know a switched on fellow who runs the charging handle when doing reloads. It actually maintains muscle memory between tactical and administrative reloads from a closed bolt. It may be necessary anyway if the bolt has not been locked back. I can see how under stress one may not know the bolt did not lock back on the last round. I still use the bolt release, but I can understand the other way and won't give someone crap for it if they do it well and consistently.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I know a lot of guys that do it, it's not uncommon. There's nothing wrong with it, but there's no need to on an AR when doing a reload. When you insert a fresh mag, your thumb is damn near touching the bolt release already, so why not use it and save the time of going to the charging handle.

If I'm working a malfunction or clearing the chamber, I'll pull the charging handle to the rear then release it so it can slam home on. It's own.

When working a reload on a pistol, grabbing the slide can be faster for some than using the slide catch/release since some guns have the slide catch in different positions in relation to your thumb. A Glock, for example, has a thin, low peofile catch that some guys miss. Since it's really no extra time to use the hand over slide method, go for it, plus the muscle memory can work in your favor on a malfunction.

I hope I'm explaining myself correctly here. So, on the AR, my thumb is already there during a reload and it's an extra step if I wanted to use the CH (which is locked forward while the bolt is locked back on an empty mag) on a reload.

On the pistol, during a reload my hand is perfectly position to use the slide catch on some guns, but it's in the perfect position in every to grab the slide.

Again, there's nothing really wrong with using the charging handle during a reload if that's what you're used to, though there is a more efficient method that makes a little more sense.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 04-06-11 at 09:49. Reason: iPad kicking out the wrong words again

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasetopher View Post
    May I ask why "Slingshotting" would be any different with an AR than with a pistol?
    Because when there's no action spring resistance on the charging handle since it's not reciprocating like the slide of a pistol.

And when you're used to the charging handle having the action spring tension on it and you grab it with the bolt locked back, it's like walking off an edge of the sidewalk that you didn't see..... all awkward and goofy. And you usually end up smacking yourself in the face.
    Last edited by markm; 04-06-11 at 09:49.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast