Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 870p build... Comments & Criticism welcome.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

870p build... Comments & Criticism welcome.

Started with a Remington 870 Police Magnum, came with the Remington tube extension.

Starting up front, the front bead sight is covered with an XS Sight Systems BIG DOT front sight. Front sight is still functional through the saddle.

Barrel clamp is Mesa Tactical and doubles as my front sling point for two point use.

Forend is Surefire M69 pic rail forend with stippled KAC rail panels, GearSector GS-3100 G2 mount with a Surefire G2 led light.

Rail/shell holder is the Mesa Tactical SureShell saddle with an Aimpoint T-1 Micro in it's original mount to keep it as low as possible. Knight's Armament T-1 battery cover.

Wilson Combat Jumbo Head Safety.

Behind the receiver QD point for single point use is aTactical Shotgunner Ambi sling plate with the right side ground smooth and refinished.

The stock is the original synthetic that came with the gun. LOP was cut down by 1". Accu-Riser is used for proper cheek position with the T-1. IWC QD point was added to the rear right side for 2 point use. Original recoil pad was reused.

Color is Aervoe Light Coyote.

I'm pleased with this setup and all the components used. Comments & criticisms welcome.

*New pics of revised light position.*

Last edited by kdcgrohl; 01-15-11 at 14:47. Reason: New pics.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Overall, I think you have a good set up going. I am unsure as to the utility of optics on a shotgun of that nature, or any shotgun other than perhaps a slug gun for that matter. I prefer ghost ring sights myself but that is mainly to keep consistency between by SG, M4, and my side arm. What you have will work just fine as far as sights, my comment is more of a personal preference.

The internal workings of the 870P are a step up from the express so you are pretty much GTG as far as that goes. The only thing I would consider is a HiViz follower or something similar to enhance your ability to detect when you are getting low on rounds.

Out of curiosity, why did you chooses a railed forend for a shotgun? You could just as easily mount your light elsewhere and have a much more comfortable fore end to grip. Why not go with a Hogue forend or something similar rather than rails with rail covers on them? I'll be curious as to your thought process on this item.

Other than that, great job in my view! Enjoy it and thanks for posting.
    Last edited by jwinch2; 12-27-10 at 09:50.
    "Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb discusing Whats for Dinner. Liberty is a well Armed Lamb willing to Contest The Majority Decision". Benjamin Franklin, 1755

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    Overall, I think you have a good set up going. I am unsure as to the utility of optics on a shotgun of that nature, or any shotgun other than perhaps a slug gun for that matter. I prefer ghost ring sights myself but that is mainly to keep consistency between by SG, M4, and my side arm. What you have will work just fine as far as sights, my comment is more of a personal preference.
    I was unsure as well, I wanted one of my own to evaluate and so far I like it.

The internal workings of the 870P are a step up from the express so you are pretty much GTG as far as that goes. The only thing I would consider is a HiViz follower or something similar to enhance your ability to detect when you are getting low on rounds.
    The follower is bright orange. Seems bright enough, should I go brighter?

Out of curiosity, why did you chooses a railed forend for a shotgun? You could just as easily mount your light elsewhere and have a much more comfortable fore end to grip. Why not go with a Hogue forend or something similar rather than rails with rail covers on them? I'll be curious as to your thought process on this item.

Other than that, great job in my view! Enjoy it and thanks for posting.
    I wanted the light on the forend, and this I thought would be the simplest solution. I'm also considering a handstop as well, but am undecided on that. I like the feel of the stippled KAC panels as that's what I use on all my ARs. This feels familiar.
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    (I'm making lots of assumptions, especially that you are right handed based on your sling mount locations...)

Have you installed the two point sling and then tried to operate the shotgun with the light?

Seems that the light being so far back if the sling was taught it could obscure the light. Even without any interference that light location will have a lot of the usable light blocked by the barrel/tube. It would also be blocked if you were shooting strong side around a barricade.

Have you tried or considered trying mounting it on the opposite side with the light on the ring pointing down, where perhaps you could hit it with your first knuckle, vs. I assume your thumb as configured now.

Also, can you load a shell into the open ejection port over the top with the T1 in that location?
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    (I'm making lots of assumptions, especially that you are right handed based on your sling mount locations...)

Have you installed the two point sling and then tried to operate the shotgun with the light?

Seems that the light being so far back if the sling was taught it could obscure the light. Even without any interference that light location will have a lot of the usable light blocked by the barrel/tube. It would also be blocked if you were shooting strong side around a barricade.

Have you tried or considered trying mounting it on the opposite side with the light on the ring pointing down, where perhaps you could hit it with your first knuckle, vs. I assume your thumb as configured now.
    Interesting idea, I may have to give that a try. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Also, can you load a shell into the open ejection port over the top with the T1 in that location?
    Yes I can. It works quite well.
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdcgrohl View Post
    Interesting idea, I may have to give that a try. Thanks.

Yes I can. It works quite well.
    Cool. I forgot to mention, that is a very nice setup. Slings and lights are so much more a pain to get right on a pump-action weapon.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was unsure as well, I wanted one of my own to evaluate and so far I like it.
    I'm glad it is working for you. I grew up shooting SG's with bead sights only so even a ghost ring seems like a luxury.

The follower is bright orange. Seems bright enough, should I go brighter?
    nope, that should be great. I didn't see that listed in your original post so I figured I would ask. Good stuff!

I wanted the light on the forend, and this I thought would be the simplest solution. I'm also considering a handstop as well, but am undecided on that. I like the feel of the stippled KAC panels as that's what I use on all my ARs. This feels familiar.
    If you want a light on the forend you might consider the surefire forend as well. But, if that works for you, great! I would second the comment made by another poster on the chances of a sling getting in the way of the light with that set up. I like my light way out front for that reason and because I get less shadowing from the barrel and magazine tube impacting the path of the light.

Like I said, overall I think it is great. Most things come down to personal preference and comfort under stress. If that works for you, rock on. You started with a solid product which is half of the battle. Everything else is gravy at that point.

Cheers!
    "Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb discusing Whats for Dinner. Liberty is a well Armed Lamb willing to Contest The Majority Decision". Benjamin Franklin, 1755

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Great looking shottie you have there! Good luck with ringing it out- should be a real blast. One question: What did cutting down the stock entail? How about fitting the original recoil pad? You made it look like a factory job...Thanks!
    It was only a momentary lapse of reason...

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by demkofour View Post
    Great looking shottie you have there! Good luck with ringing it out- should be a real blast. One question: What did cutting down the stock entail? How about fitting the original recoil pad? You made it look like a factory job...Thanks!
    The cut job was basically chuck the stock in the vise, measure and hacksaw off 1",file, drill top buttpad screw hole another ½", reinstall buttpad. The buttpad hangs a bit lower than the end of the stock but it doesn't bother me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    if you ever do any support should firing optics are your best friend.. It's real hard to find a bead or a ghost ring with your weak eye..

It is a nice looking gun, overall I like it. it has everything a man needs, plenty of ammo and a light.. the only thing I could see as an issue is the shadowing from the light being mounted how it is... but any light is better than no light..
    Last edited by CJ804; 12-27-10 at 17:23.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast