Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Defense Load Preference

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Home Defense Load Preference

Just curious what everyones preference on shot (slug, 00, 000,) is for home defense AND what brand. I really like the Rem. 2 3/4" 00.
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    I keep 3" 00 buck in my 870p, general consensus from what I've heard/read is either #1 buck or 00 buck. I use the Winchester Supreme 3" 00 Buck, comes in a black box. I found it to pattern better with my particular gun than the Remington stuff I tried. I havent tried the Federal loads yet.

Feedback Score
    3" 00 Buckshot indoors. It's important you pattern anything you are going to use for defense because different brands/loads will pattern different with almost every shotgun. Mine happens to like Federal.

There is an interesting article in IWBA about #1 Buckshot in Wound Ballistics Review but they never did a followup. Not to mention it's impossible to find #1 Buckshot most of the time.
    Last edited by ZRH; 04-07-11 at 00:50.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Low recoil, patterns great.

C Co. 509th ABN/PFDR
    83-85

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRH View Post
    3" 00 Buckshot indoors. It's important you pattern anything you are going to use for defense because different brands/loads will pattern different with almost every shotgun. Mine happens to like Federal.

There is an interesting article in IWBA about #1 Buckshot in Wound Ballistics Review but they never did a followup. Not to mention it's impossible to find #1 Buckshot most of the time.
    Why 3" if you dont mind me asking? The reason I like the 2 3/4" is the recoil management in a hight stress situation, I want to be able to make a prompt follow up shot if needed. IMHO.
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prc77 View Post
    Low recoil, patterns great.

This is the same thing I use in my 870. I've had very good results with the spread staying tight at least to 10 yards, and the recoil isn't quite as bad.

I have been contemplating trying out the new 12 ga. PDX rounds, 1 slug and 3 pellets of buck. Interesting concept, been seeing it lately in the gun magazines.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usarmy15t86 View Post
    This is the same thing I use in my 870. I've had very good results with the spread staying tight at least to 10 yards, and the recoil isn't quite as bad.

I have been contemplating trying out the new 12 ga. PDX rounds, 1 slug and 3 pellets of buck. Interesting concept, been seeing it lately in the gun magazines.
    The PDX is winchester right? I been wanting to try those too

Instagram Dangertastic

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yes, Winchester PDX. I haven't been able to find any for sale, but it's listed on Midway for backorder. I'm always interested in new shotgun HD rounds.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usarmy15t86 View Post
    Yes, Winchester PDX. I haven't been able to find any for sale, but it's listed on Midway for backorder. I'm always interested in new shotgun HD rounds.
    Did you check cheaper than dirt? Shit I just seen them and I cant remember where. I want some

Instagram Dangertastic

Feedback Score
    Federal LE132 Flite-Control 00 Buck. Runs like a scalded-ass ape, holds tight patterns that extend my shotgun's range significantly. I can keep the whole pattern on an IPSC target out to about 30 yards or so with an ImpCyl 18" barrel.

3" Mag loads are more than you need. They reduce the shotgun's already low capacity, increase the already significant recoil, and don't really add any lethality at in-home ranges. 3" Mags are for hunting turkeys and waterfowl, not home defense.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast