Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Defense Load Preference

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    My experience with actually shooting anything alive with buckshot was at a hog. I used Federal 2 3/4", 00 Copper Plated lead Buckshot from a 26" Benelli SBE at about 30 yards.

It did the trick and then some, full pass through. I got lucky and killed a babie piggie behind the sow too all in one shot. I found one of the balls embeded in the sow's opposite shoulder from where I shot her, and the entire weight of the ball seemd to still be there, fully intact, just wadded and flattened.

So, I have full confidence in that round to deliver similar results if ever needed to defend against an intruder. Just do your part, hit where you want and I feel any 00 buck will be simply devestating, especially considering home defense ranges.

But from what I have gathered, the only advantages of 3" and 3 1/2" shells are more shot. They deliver the same velocities as 2 3/4" shells and therefore same knock down power ball for ball. In a house, if you can make 12 balls hit your target, you can make 9 balls hit your target, with less recoil and more room in the mag.

The only stuff I stay away from is Winchester shells. They always get that white powder crap all over the place form the shell not being fully closed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BCmJUnKie View Post
    Why 3" if you dont mind me asking? The reason I like the 2 3/4" is the recoil management in a hight stress situation, I want to be able to make a prompt follow up shot if needed. IMHO.
    Felt recoil is very individual and 12lb shotguns don't move much. 3" gives you 15 pellets vs 8.

ETA: If I had an aluminum gun like a Mossberg I'd probably go with something different.
    Last edited by ZRH; 04-08-11 at 01:52.

Feedback Score
    i have a 3.5 inch 00 buck in the chamber then slug,oobuck slug ,slug all 2 3/4 in the tube

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Let me guess. You read it in a gun magazine somewhere and thought it was cool? You realize that everyone of those rounds mentioned will overpenetrate way more than any 5.56 round could hope.

Quote Originally Posted by memphisjim View Post
    i have a 3.5 inch 00 buck in the chamber then slug,oobuck slug ,slug all 2 3/4 in the tube

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    I'm using Hornady Critical Defense 00. It patterns well, though I would prefer using Federal Flight Control. The Hornady is locally available at 3 stores, where as Federal isn't.

Granted all of that really doesn't matter a whole lot, the shotgun for me is a tertiary defensive weapon. Honestly if something Sooo shitty happens at my house that I've run through all my pistol mags, all my rifle mags and I need to retrieve my shotgun...Then I have way bigger problems that which buckshot and slug combination am I using.
    "I can’t remember a mile in my life that was even mildly amusing"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by memphisjim View Post
    Not keen on tube stacking myself. I prefer having positive control over what round I'm shooting and more importantly, knowing for certain what round I'm shooting.

Also not keen on 3.5," for the same reasons others have already mentioned about 3" only amplified.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmanfms View Post
    Also not keen on 3.5," for the same reasons others have already mentioned about 3" only amplified.
    3.5" 12ga is kinda questionable. It's only 18 pellets vs 15 in a 3". 15 pellets in a 3" is way more than 8 in a 2-3/4".

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't rely on a shotgun as a primary HD weapon, I will always choose my 6920, or Bushy/BCM carbine's for that role, loaded with a 55gr hollow point.

However, I did recently add a Mossberg 590SP to the gun locker, a nine-shot, GRS'd, speedfeed stocked, offering that is very well made, and no doubt equal to the job if it is ever offered it.

I've only patterned it with Remington 2 3/4" #4 buck(27 pellets)at 10 & 15 yards, but the 4 buck patterns very well at those distances, and 4 buck is very unlikely to exit the wall of a room in my home and enter another one.

I might add, that though I am not likely to ever rely on anything more than 4 buck, If I were to rely on a heavy 8 or 9 pellet buckshot load for defense in my rural environment, I would opt for Federal 2 3/4" 000 buck.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCmJUnKie View Post
    Just curious what everyones preference on shot (slug, 00, 000,) is for home defense AND what brand.
    5.56 Winchester 55 gr nosler ballistic tips

For me a shotgun is way too slow for a 2nd shot, and it doesn't hold 30 rounds. Also, my wife and 10 year old kid are great with an AR15 but neither is fond of a pump 12 ga.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by superr.stu View Post
    Honestly if something Sooo shitty happens at my house that I've run through all my pistol mags, all my rifle mags and I need to retrieve my shotgun...Then I have way bigger problems that which buckshot and slug combination am I using.
    If you went through all that, I would say it is a marksmanship problem, not a weapon platform problem.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast