Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Defense Load Preference

Feedback Score
    This is a tough crowd I keep my winnie loaded with #00 federal 3in buck. My house lay out provides me with the piece of mind that none of the bedrooms are in my line of fire.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    5.56 Winchester 55 gr nosler ballistic tips

For me a shotgun is way too slow for a 2nd shot, and it doesn't hold 30 rounds. Also, my wife and 10 year old kid are great with an AR15 but neither is fond of a pump 12 ga.
    He asked for preference as to shotgun load. In the shotgun forum. I think the responses might have a lot to do with those factors.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    5.56 Winchester 55 gr nosler ballistic tips

For me a shotgun is way too slow for a 2nd shot, and it doesn't hold 30 rounds. Also, my wife and 10 year old kid are great with an AR15 but neither is fond of a pump 12 ga.
    My shotgun may not hold 30 rounds, but it can deliver 72 58gr lead balls that will ruin your weekend
    C Co. 509th ABN/PFDR
    83-85

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For the 12ga here in Astan I keep it loaded with 2 3/4" 00 buck, 9 pellet count with a Modified Rem Choke.

At home my 12 ga 870 is loaded with 2 3/4" 00 buck, 12 pellet count. (Choke would depend on which of the its 3 barrels I have on it) Same for my A5 riot gun.

The 20 ga 870 is loaded with 2 3/4" #3 buck. I've got a .31 cal round ball mold on the way and going to try loading some bigger shot in it. Should be able to get 6-8 of those balls in it. The .31 is between 0 and 00 buck.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Feedback Score
    The Federal Tactical LE-132 low-recoil 00 buckshot with FliteControl Wad @ 1145 FPS.

"You won't rise to the ocassion, you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

NRA LE Handgun/Shotgun Instructor
    Pa ACT235 Firearms Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CC4me View Post
    The Federal Tactical LE-132 low-recoil 00 buckshot with FliteControl Wad @ 1145 FPS.

Big plus on these.They run well in my well broken in 930SPX. I threw the slugs in a storage box.
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong.A tax is a fine for doing well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CC4me View Post
    Ditto. We issue this at my job, and I am impressed enough with the performance to buy my own for the house.

I normally take some of the full power stuff with me when I am bird hunting for just in case, since I hunt with an 11-87, the pump guns stay at home.

Both types of this ammo make the gauge a viable 50 yard weapon in my observation.
    Last edited by tpd223; 04-09-11 at 09:17.

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    Standard issue Remington 2 3/4 00 Buck.

No BS, gun magazine or TV show, slug & Shot mixtures.

I have a small house built in 1848 on top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere. So it's a house that doesn't require 3" ammo for reach. No long hallways or whatever, so no need for the boost.

While I can say I have never had to shoot a person with my shotgun, I have put down some deer with it using 00 Buck and I'm pretty convinced that it is sufficient as a home defense choice.

No science going on there other than I know how that ammo patterns out of my gun. So it's just my belief that it will work at this point.
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder Ops View Post
    Standard issue Remington 2 3/4 00 Buck.

No BS, gun magazine or TV show, slug & Shot mixtures.

I have a small house built in 1848 on top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere. So it's a house that doesn't require 3" ammo for reach. No long hallways or whatever, so no need for the boost.

Very good. This is my favorite. I picked up some PDX slugs yesterday. Im kinda intrigued on testing performance tomorrow. I agree that the shot thats in there wit the slug is pure marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankyoz View Post
    This is a tough crowd I keep my winnie loaded with #00 federal 3in buck. My house lay out provides me with the piece of mind that none of the bedrooms are in my line of fire.
    My house is the same. But there is always that chance...
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast