Thread: Inexpensive hand-cranked washing machine...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile Inexpensive hand-cranked washing machine...

Didn't want to clutter up the personal hygiene thread with this.

This is very nice, and has gotten some fairly nice reviews in the press.

Assuming your supply of relatively clean water is plentiful in a distressed situation, this might come in handy when the power is out or if you are away from modern laundry facilities.

Review here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk-CK_2OmHk

Vendor here:

http://www.laundry-alternative.com/p...onderwash.html
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    I was looking at that the other day. As I am setting up all of my stuff to be manual this works great with that way of thinking. (If you have no power what the hell else are you going to do?). It is going on the list of crap to buy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    dang, that is cool. thanks for the link.

Feedback Score
    We just put one of those on our wedding registry. Sold it to the Mrs.(to be) by pointing out that it would be good for doing her delicates. Worked for me! Looks like a good idea and cheap enough that we may just get one anyway.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Looks like a good item. At least it would keep the undies clean.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The wife pointed out to me that 5 lbs is about 1 pair of jeans. So looks like you'd be doing a lot of laundry, even with the reduced washing time.
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Call me old school but I'll stick with my wash board. It's probably 80 years old and will probably be around after I'm gone. I'd venture a guess that'd last about 2 weeks before something broke on it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I saw something at Cracker County (a living museum showing the pioneer days in Florida) where they had a human powered washer that was above a wash board. Basically it was a tub with a hand powered agitator. I figure you could set that up on a bicycle and make shore order of your wash. Then put it through a wringer and dry on a line. Not portable but it is electric free.
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score

Washer

I think with a little imagination I could make one from a 20gal or 55gal drum weld a few short walls inside. Attach a sproket and use some small wheels as rollers. Power it by a bike of some type.
    Could do larger amounts and off the other side of the axel hook up a small generator for lights.
    Just in case the wife decides to do laundry at night.