Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LMT BCG retaining pin issue?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

LMT BCG retaining pin issue?

I took my LMT MWS apart to clean this last week. The retaining pin was very difficult to push forward to release firing pin. Once I actually accomplished this task, it is difficult to get back in. I have soaked it in Pro-7 for hours and cleaned it thoroughly.

Called Gene at LMT , he said send it back in and they will look at / fix it. My guess is that when it took a great deal of pressure to push the pin forward, it mushroomed it ever so slightly, making it difficult to push open and close. When its in the "middle" not fully open or closed, it slides fine.

Has any one changed there LMT pin out for a regular AR10 pin, and if so, how does it work? Any other issues with their LMT BCG? Problem is, they would not send me a another pin, LMT wants me to send back in. They are great service, but its a bit of a hassle for just a retaining pin.

pb

Feedback Score
    It's early and I don't have my BCG in front of me, but 'forward'? Do you mean 'out'? I assume you mean the firing pin retainer or do you mean the bolt cam pin, right?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    When we tried to disassemble it for cleaning, we couldn't get the retaining pin to pull out. When we did we then had a hard time getting the firing pin out. It was as if something was bent. We finally were able to pry it out, but couldn't see what the issue was.

Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    It's early and I don't have my BCG in front of me, but 'forward'? Do you mean 'out'? I assume you mean the firing pin retainer or do you mean the bolt cam pin, right?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Any other issues with their LMT BCG?
    I only have a few hundred rounds thru mine, but have stripped it several times and had no issues with the BCG.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Deleted
    Last edited by Packman73; 04-13-11 at 11:59. Reason: wrong forum, I'm an idiot
    Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force. - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Feedback Score
    Are you saying that you took the firing pin retaining pin all of the way out of the carrier? If so, then you likely did damage it. It is designed so that it doesn't come out of the carrier. Let me know if this is what you did.

Feedback Score
    When I took mine apart, the firing pin retaining pin slid out easily but would not come ALL the way out. I thought something was wrong or broken. ( I bought mine used, only one mag included, nothing else, not even an owners manual). Someone on here informed me that the pin is supposed to stay with the BCG and NOT become detached like an AR-15 BCG. No problems once that was sorted out. Works great/as it should.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iskor12 View Post
    Are you saying that you took the firing pin retaining pin all of the way out of the carrier? If so, then you likely did damage it. It is designed so that it doesn't come out of the carrier. Let me know if this is what you did.
    +1

I thought it was a captured/retained pin. I've never taken mine 'out' of the Carrier, just slid as far as it went and bumped the carrier to get the firing pin to drop out.

LMT is definitely lacking in the manual department, but then most ARs are thin on manuals compared to Handguns which tell you how to insert and drop a mag.
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 04-13-11 at 11:18.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My guess is LMT will have to make a mod on that retaining pin. And make it more durable. When it gets dirty, it tuff to get out. And damage follows while trying to push it out (not remove). They could also include the proper size punch to push the pin out as to not damage it.

I did not completely remove retaining pin.

The first two times I cleaned it, I had no problems. I ran more rounds through it this time getting it more dirty...
    Last edited by Pappabear; 04-13-11 at 11:31.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Deleted
    Last edited by Packman73; 04-13-11 at 11:59. Reason: Wrong forum, I'm an idiot
    Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force. - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast