Thread: Scout vs. Mini Scout?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

Scout vs. Mini Scout?

I am looking at upgrading my G2 w/ TNVC Q5 and have narrowed it down to the M300A or M600C. I'm leaning toward the M300A (Viking Tactical L4 Mini) becuase of the size and weight. It will be going on my BCM 14.5" Middy in a HD role. It there is big difference between the 200 and the 110 lumens? From my forum search it seems that most that have the mini scout are pretty happy with it. I'm just looking for any other inputs. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    110 lumens is plenty for HD use. Too much light indoors can REALLY screw up your night vision when reflected off walls and it can easily wash out red dots.

Just an aside, the best place for high-intensity light indoors is the ceiling. Light will be dispersed well by it and allow you to view more in the room than if you were to keep the muzzle down. But I dont expect you to respond to something going bump in the night by walking around your house with the muzzle on the ceiling at all times, just something to note if you need a bit of light and dont feel like blinding yourself.

I doubt it matters to you, but if it does you should consider the fact that Surefire does NOT currently produce an IR head for single-battery scout lights.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I agree with Pax, if its primary use is indoors for HD you'll be fine with, if not not better served by, the 1 cell/110 lumen option.

Not that 200 lumens is super excessive or anything, but using a weapon light indoors you'll quickly realize that in some situations less is actually more.

I would probably go with the mini for a dedicated HD setup on account of the still plenty adequate output, and lighter/smaller never being a bad a thing in my book.
    Last edited by Dutchy556; 05-27-11 at 14:52.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Why not get the 200-lumen M600 so you can have more throw for outdoor use and put a diffuser on it for indoor work? The diffuser will make the concentrated beam more into a flood type beam which will work great indoors. I think it would be more versatile.

Diffuser for Scout Light: http://www.surefire.com/F04-Beam-Diffuser
    Another one (this one is very pricey but will stay on the light when you are not using the diffuser): http://www.surefire.com/FM54-Diffuser

I think the FM54 is better suited to weapon light use but at 6 times the price of the F04 it is up to you if you really want the flood feature or if you would rather have the lower lumens of the M300 which would still not provide a flood type beam which IMO works better indoors than the spotlight type beam produced by the TIR optic of the Scout Light.

Check out this thread to see what the F04 diffuser will do with the 200-lumen SureFire LX2 (similar in beam and output to the Scout Light): http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=12111.0
    Last edited by El Pistolero; 05-27-11 at 20:01. Reason: Added more information.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I've got the Mini Scout and Scout, and the Viking light. First of all 200 lumens in not too much indoors, not even close. I very much prefer the Mini Scout to the full size model. What I realized in shooting both at 50 yards and 100 was that the beam on the mini is more focused, with a tighter beam. With the lumen output it's important to realize that the hot spot can be different than total output. The 200 lumen, full size model is brighter but some of that is alleviated by the beam size. For me the lighter, smaller package is preferred. You might also note that in smokey or dusty conditions the incandesent bulbs cut through the clutter mush better than LED's. I bought the Viking light with the intention of mounting it on a rifle but liked it so much I use it as me console light in my patrol unit. They are the shizznit.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    Can anyone shed some light on the use of the full size scout m600 vs. M620 vs mini.

It does not seem as thought the M620 is as popular?

I seems like the better light as it is smaller in length than the full size scout but still holds two batteries and has the same output as the full size scout.

Am I missing something?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by randrewhoffer View Post
    Can anyone shed some light on the use of the full size scout m600 vs. M620 vs mini.

It does not seem as thought the M620 is as popular?

I seems like the better light as it is smaller in length than the full size scout but still holds two batteries and has the same output as the full size scout.

Am I missing something?
    A 600C with Gear Sector or Larue mount is MUCH cheaper than a 620. I had a chance to play with my old boss's 620V once and while SF's mount seems fine, (didnt get to put it through any hard use), it's certainly expensive as hell and very bulky compared to the profile of a GS or Larue mount. Perhaps if you went with a LT752 mount, you could get a 600C to cost alllmost as much as a 620, but it would still be cheaper and I'd still opt for it over the 620 because of its lower profile and the benefit of having an offset mount.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Thank you for all of the input. I decided to go with the Viking Tactical L4 Mini and a Vltor QD mount. For me the smaller size won out. I'll post my thoughts once I get everything in hand.