Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surefire X300 vs. Streamlight TLR-1s

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Surefire X300 vs. Streamlight TLR-1s

Has anybody done a real "let's beat the living crap out of these two lights" kind of side by side review on the X300 and the TLR-1s? Got a link to the review? I'm tired of reading these reviews that make comments that are the equivalent of "oh my goodness its just so bright and the beam is just so perfectly round, I just love it....." I want to see them reviewed side by side, with a thousand or more rounds fired with them mounted, dropped in the mud, buried in the sand, submerged in water, dropped on concrete from a height of 50 feet, etc., etc. I want to really know if the X300 is actually worth spending over 2x as much as the TLR-1s on.
    Last edited by Texpatriate; 04-14-11 at 13:40.
    "COME AND TAKE IT"

NRA Endowment Life Member
    Texas State Rifle Association

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have two of the TLR-1s's and have been nothing but happy with them. I also prefer the beam the TLR's put out as its more of a flood rather than a spotlight like the X300's. As much as I like my TLR's I'd fully expect the X300 to come out the victor if a comparison like you described took place.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Texpatriate View Post
    Has anybody done a real "let's beat the living crap out of these two lights" kind of side by side review on the X300 and the TLR-1s?
    No, but a sampling of one of each wouldn't be enough, anyways... to have any validity, you'd have to buy ten of each, mount them on 20 guns, and then see how many of each fail.

Anyway, search, and there are complaints of TLR-1s falling off (I have one, and I make sure it's on really tight). I can't remember anybody actually breaking one or the other.

Feedback Score
    You mentioned submerging in water. Per the manufacturers websites:

TLR-1 is waterproof at 1 meter for 1 hour

X300 is submersible to 22 meters.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    In the retail stores I've worked at, I have sent back a few TLR lights with broken switches and/or fractured lens. Inversely, I have yet to have anyone bring me a broken X300.

In the effort of full disclosure, a very good friend of mine has owned a X200A for approx. 4 years and is now having some issues with the momentary pressure switch (has to push forward hard to activate). So nothing is completely indestructible. But I would side with the X300, I have 3 with no issues at all, plus a couple X200A that are still going on training guns.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Unfortunately, there weren't any cameras running, but a fellow cadet I went to academy with personally witnessed a Streamlight rep take an unloaded Glock with TLR attached, and pound a nail into a board with the bottom of the TLR. Light worked fine afterwards. Take that for whatever it is worth.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by infidelprodigy View Post
    In the retail stores I've worked at, I have sent back a few TLR lights with broken switches and/or fractured lens. Inversely, I have yet to have anyone bring me a broken X300.
    Not trying to stir the pot, but a part of me is wondering if this has something to do with the fact there are probably a lot more TLRs circulating out there as opposed to an actual difference in quality.

Feedback Score
    For what it's worth. Everyone in my department uses the TLR family of lights. Mostly TLR-1 and TLR-2, with a few 1s's mixed in. Haven't heard of any failures to date. Most of them were issued about 4 years ago.

Opposite side, I have no experience with the X300.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Have yet to have any issues with my sample of one TLR-1, but haven't done anything extreme to it neither. The only one of the TLR series I have heard of issues with was the TLR-3.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texpatriate View Post
    Has anybody done a real "let's beat the living crap out of these two lights" kind of side by side review on the X300 and the TLR-1s? Got a link to the review? I'm tired of reading these reviews that make comments that are the equivalent of "oh my goodness its just so bright and the beam is just so perfectly round, I just love it....." I want to see them reviewed side by side, with a thousand or more rounds fired with them mounted, dropped in the mud, buried in the sand, submerged in water, dropped on concrete from a height of 50 feet, etc., etc. I want to really know if the X300 is actually worth spending over 2x as much as the TLR-1s on.
    I won't own anymore Streamlights due to bad experiences with the older M3 and crappy customer service on Streamlights part. But I will say the X300's I own have held up to thousands of rounds of .223 on my patrol rifle and the same on my duty handgun (was a 45 acp now a Glock 9mm) I don't take the light off at all when I am trianing or shooting matches. It stays on. That killed my former stream light purchases. So yes its worth the price.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast