Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surefire X300 vs. Streamlight TLR-1s

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I won't own anymore Streamlights due to bad experiences with the older M3 and crappy customer service on Streamlights part.
    Can't speak for the customer service because I haven't needed it, but I can say the TLR and the M3 are completely different animals. And don't mistake me for some sort of Streamlight apologist, as you will have a hard time finding someone who HATES their Stinger line more than me. In fact, the TLR is pretty much the only Streamlight product I would recommend.

I think most of the Surefire's "advantages" are merely personal preference. I can't stand the beam profile/color and the switches on the X300, while others I know love 'em.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    It's a personal preference, but I hate the switches on the TLRs. No push function like the X300 and to me they don't have a positive feel when activating them.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by donr101395 View Post
    It's a personal preference, but I hate the switches on the TLRs. No push function like the X300 and to me they don't have a positive feel when activating them.
    This^^^

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use a TLR-1 but like most users, I don't really ask that much of the light.

However, I figure "good enough for Defoor, good enough for me".

http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/06/streamlight.html
    Full disclosure: I'm the editor of Calibre Magazine, which is Canada's gun magazine. In the past I've done consulting work for different manufacturers and OEM suppliers, but not currently. M4C's disclosure policy doesn't seem to cover me but we do have advertisers, although I don't handle that side of things and in general I do not know who is paying us at any given time.

Feedback Score
    the tlr's are great lights and Id like to say that they are just as good as...

but they arent. surefire really does have it wrapped up with the x300 line. nothing comes close.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The switches on the back of everything besides a X300 suck ass. They either feel like crap, do not have a positive feel, don't have momentary, or the way the switch is attached to the light is trash.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by infidelprodigy View Post
    In the retail stores I've worked at, I have sent back a few TLR lights with broken switches and/or fractured lens. Inversely, I have yet to have anyone bring me a broken X300.

In the effort of full disclosure, a very good friend of mine has owned a X200A for approx. 4 years and is now having some issues with the momentary pressure switch (has to push forward hard to activate). So nothing is completely indestructible. But I would side with the X300, I have 3 with no issues at all, plus a couple X200A that are still going on training guns.
    Early X200s had a leaf spring on the switch that would wear out over time. Newer X series (200, 300, 400) have a coil spring. Surefire will replace for free.

Feedback Score
    In the retail stores I've worked at, I have sent back a few TLR lights with broken switches and/or fractured lens. Inversely, I have yet to have anyone bring me a broken X300.

In the effort of full disclosure, a very good friend of mine has owned a X200A for approx. 4 years and is now having some issues with the momentary pressure switch (has to push forward hard to activate). So nothing is completely indestructible. But I would side with the X300, I have 3 with no issues at all, plus a couple X200A that are still going on training guns.
    Just curious, is your X200A (the one that has problems) a 4-screw or a 6-screw model?

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I have an older X200 (four screw mount) that I bought when they first came out many years ago. It has served as both my duty handgun light, and was retired to my bedside light after my agency issued us new X200's. After untold rounds, duty abuse and numerous qualifications, trainings and live house clearings on search warrant and partol entries I finally wore out the switch early this year. It had the old leaf style spring. I called surefire expecting to be charged as I figured it was a "wear item." They sent me a new updated switch for no charge.

The light is still going strong, and is now relegated to the center consol of my vehicle as I have a new X300 for my nightstand gun. The X series of light are the best in my opinion. I have used the older insight lights and one stopped working after one day at the range. I know the X series lights work, and despite their expense I will stay with what I know what works and has good factory support.
    "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." - Written by an unknown soldier in Vietnam.

Feedback Score

I had the lens break free in the housing on my X300.
    No abuse or anything, I was just shooting it on my TRP.
    Looked at it after shooting and could see glass fragments inside, and it would spin in the housing. It seems to be a 2 layer lens or something, and the outer layer would move.

The light still worked, and of course Surefire fixed me up very quickly, but just throwing it out there as having happened.
    Last edited by Followthehollow; 05-13-11 at 17:31.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast