Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Surefire X300 vs. Streamlight TLR-1s

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Pistol lights

I work for a large federal agency that just approved weapon mounted lights. As part of the training, we had to shoot with the authorized models before making our personal choice.

The Surefire X300 had the brightest best quality light output. It is built like a tank. My issue was that the sharp serrations tore up your off hand thumb when using the momentary light feature.

The Blackhawk light requires the use of their holster which eliminated it from my consideration. I carry a Safariland ALS/SLS holster. I do not like the serpa duty holster.

The Insight M3 LED had good light output. The switch was user friendly (and non painful.) The plastic body was lightweight. Initially I was worried about this. Truth be told, all of the abuse my light is likely to take will occur in holster. The hard shell of the Safariland holster gives me confidence that the light will be OK.

I bought the Insight M3 LED for duty use.

In building my AR-15, I purchased an Streamlight TLR-1. I have a mount that attaches to the front sight. The TLR-1 has an optional backplate and pressure switch designed for long gun mounting. I ordered them from www.lapolicegear.com They had a 15% off coupon code going (SPRING15) The TLR-1 is sturdy (metal-construction) and has a user friendly switch.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    How are you guys running TLR-1 or -1s' and 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock preventing light NDs?

Seems like the paddle switch, if not mounted in a 12 o'clock position in front of the FSB or 6 o'clock position in front of a VFG, would cause problems.

Tape switch?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    How are you guys running TLR-1 or -1s' and 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock preventing light NDs?

Seems like the paddle switch, if not mounted in a 12 o'clock position in front of the FSB or 6 o'clock position in front of a VFG, would cause problems.

Tape switch?
    Running a tape switch to the right side of the foregrip. I am right handed.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Last edited by goteron; 05-21-11 at 20:41.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by goteron View Post
    That's quite an in-depth "Summary" of said lights.

Feedback Score
    Well I'm sold on the X300 after using one with the devgru switch.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    My thoughts on these lights;

I was issued an M-3 about 10 years ago and for the time it was light and fairly bright. We still have guys using those same lights today. So much for durability issues.

We started buying TLR's about 4 years ago because they fit in the same holsters, which is important as a department. I bought 3 myself and used them on pistols and carbines on occasion. I couldn't justify the cost of the SureFire 300's. I was fairly happy with duability, light output, and the switch, which was easy to use. I didn't like the strobe feature as it was hit or miss and I seemed to hit it on accident when I didn't want it. Size is relative and they were good on the pistol but stuck out IMO on the carbines too much wherever they were put.

Then I traded for a SureFire 300. OK, not bad. Size, light output good, durability I'm sure is good. I like the smaller size a lot. I'm the guy that prefers 14.5 lightweights, mini scouts, and T-1's so they fit into my preferences very well. I do not like the amount of force needed to turn it on. It works but seemed a little much. I found that I really did like the momentary on. Surefire got that right. About 12 months ago I bought a used DG switch for $40.00. WOW. I'd hit the motherload for a pistol light. Then I found that with .mil or LEO I could buy the X300's for about $170.00-$180.00 before the price increase and the DG's for $60.00. All total about $250.00 in real dollars delivered each. Still a lot but considerably less than about $350.00 delivered retail. As I bought SureFires I sold my TLR's. With the recent increase I'm glad I already have 4, 3 with DG's on my Glocks(1 duty, 1 SWAT, and 1 house or wifes gun) and 1 in the safe. Currently it's much easier to switch lights as Safariland holsters not are a generic fir for lights. That was a real issue for me because I had a basketweave model for days, nylon look model for nights, drop leg for SWAT, and maybe a paddle for plain clothes/offduty.

In closing I think the TLR is a great value and works well. If you prefer it no worries as it's a lot less as well. If they had a DG switch I'd be all over them if I hadn't invested so much to get where I'm at.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I haven't used the X300 but have used the Insight Tech WX-150 and the TLR-1S.

I prefer the Insight's tighter beam and think this probably makes it a better choice for long gun applications where a farther shot may be required. I also like that the WX-150's switch doesn't have to be pushed down as far to activate the light.

In the TLR's favor is cost and the mounting bracket. I've seen a couple P2000's that seem to have some "slop" in the dust cover and the TLR can be tightened down to the rail for a solid fit. Best of all is the fact that the strobe feature can be programmed out of the TLR-1S. While the strobe feature seems to be the current trend on all these lights, I find it rather useless and too easy to activate during recoil.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123