Thread: Lwrc repr to sell or to put on a diet?

Feedback Score

Lwrc repr to sell or to put on a diet?

Well I needs some advise on what to do with my 18" repr either but it on a diet or sell it and get an EMC?
    If i keep it what ideas on lighting it up?
    Thanks
    Chris

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What is your purpose for losing some weight? If you want to go run-n-gun in a carbine class, you picked the wrong rifle. The REPR was never meant to be used as such, it's a Rapid Engagement Precision Rifle. You get behind the gun and engage multiple targets at distance. I'm sure you're already aware of this, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence.

If you're intention is to make a jack-of-all-trades rifle, then it will turn out to be OK at everything but great at nothing. You really can't have it all wrapped up into one package. My CQB rifles are CQB rifles, and my precision rifles are precision rifles.

The only viable option I see for you is to SBR your lower and buy one of their 12" REPR uppers. In a sense you could sort of have the best of both worlds, but the 12" upper will still be on the heavy side for CQB. You really won't be able to cut additional weight otherwise, LWRC's are pretty much proprietary. I know, I own two of them in 5.56. There aren't any barrels and very few rails that can be swapped on to them.

You've got a really great precision gun, now go build yourself a great carbine.

Feedback Score
    Hi Patrol,
    Thanks for the reply I'm looking to lighten it up so I could use it as battle rifle. The .308 losses to much when the barrel gets cuts below 16. I was just wondering what other have done to reduce weight.
    thanks
    chris

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Probably the best weight loss program is the same one that I did for my LMT: Trade it in on a SCAR-H. Bam, three pounds gone like that!

Feedback Score
    I think Patrol hit the nail in the head with that comment from his second paragraph. My advice, I would keep the rifle and use it for its intended purpose, unless you can sell it and not loose money. Then I would get a Predatar in 7.62, just as light as a SCAR, with the all familiar ergos, stainless barrel, awesome rail + geisel triger at the same price. That seems to be the Best "battle rifle" one can have now days in the AR platform.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For any rifle, it depends on what part is overweight. Since I'm not familiar with the configuration of the rifle, I'll just throw some questions out there.

What kind of handguards does it have? Railed handguards are heavier than simple tubes, especially quad rails. Do you use all of that rail estate? If all you're going to mount to the handguard is a bipod & a sling, all the extra rail estate is adding useless weight.

What kind of buttstock does it have? For example, the PRS and similar stocks allow adjustments for fit to be made every which way to Sunday. But that adjustability is paid for with extra weight. It's possible it's not needed and a simpler, lighter stock would be better.

What profile does the barrel have? If it's a bull barrel, switching to a lighter profile will cut the weight and improve balance without having a negative affect on accuracy & consistency.

Look at each component with a critical eye and see how they fulfill the mission requirement. It may be that they can be replaced with lighter components. Some cannot be changed. Some should be. Some will depend on what you really need. Before making changes, ask yourself, will they make the rifle better? Or will they change the rifle into something else? If the former, ok. If the latter, it probably means the rifle doesn't meet the mission profile and it's best to get another that does
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrolRifleGroup View Post
    What is your purpose for losing some weight? If you want to go run-n-gun in a carbine class, you picked the wrong rifle. The REPR was never meant to be used as such, it's a Rapid Engagement Precision Rifle. You get behind the gun and engage multiple targets at distance. I'm sure you're already aware of this, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence.
    And I'm sure that you know that it was orignally the SABR: The Sniper-Assaulter Battle Rifle. It was originally designed to fill both roles, with two different uppers. In fact, the moniker for both the SBR and 16" REPRs is "battle rifle", whereas the 18" REPR is the "DMR" and the 20" is the "sniper".

In any case, if you want a light REPR, I agree. The best option is the 12" SBR upper. Quite frankly, the problem the REPR has, as near as I can tell, is that the barrel is far stouter than it needs to be, even in the 16" barrel version. Now, LWRCi has their reasons for this... something to do with lots of rapid fire and full auto fire.

Anyway. I'd just sell it. And I really like the REPR. If you do, too, get the SBR upper or wait until they do their limited run of fluted 16" barrel guns and snatch one up. If you don't care so much for the REPR, then look at the SCAR 17S and the LaRue PredatAR. In any case, I don't see a reason to get an EMC with quality, lightweight battle rifles coming from DSA, FN-H, and LaRue for much less denarii.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 04-17-11 at 22:37.