Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to measure accuracy/marksmanship...?

Feedback Score

What is the best way to measure accuracy/marksmanship...?

Hello,

Is there a way that proves accuracy over another or when do you go above and beyond and prove excellent accuracy?

I noticed "groups" are commonly used to show accuracy, mostly 3 shots. Is a 3 shot group the standard? If so what does a 5 shot group qualify as? What about 10?

Or would a 10 shot drill prove better accuracy, see like for example of what i mean: http://www.impactdatabooks.com/v/vsp...s/D-RBD10D.pdf

What about position? Bench or prone? Does one qualify you as a better marksman over the other?

What about using accessories other than a scope? Bipods, shooting rests and/or bags?

I am asking because i see a lot of groups but rarely (i said rare not never) do you get all the details, does this mean they are irrelevant? As long as you acheive the tightest group?

But wouldn't using so many extra hardware only prove the rifle's accuracy, not the skill of the marksman?

Is there a position, rifle setup and target type that would measure the marksman and the rifle best?

Is there a standard to go by and if not should there be one?

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Generally when I shoot for groups I use a front rest and rear bag unless stated otherwise. I just got a real rear late last year and was shooting off a pack before that.

Position does make a difference. If soemone posts a group I ASSume its off a front rest and rear bag unless otherwise noted.

3 shot groups are worthless. 5 shot groups are ok but they need to at least be compared to several other groups. If someone posts one 5 shot group who cares? I want to see several of on the same target. Near any dolt with two cells to rub together can once shoot a 3 or 5 shot group that looks good but that group, unless they post others, is probably the best group they ever shot.

For my own self evaluation I shoot a gun with a few different types of ammo, 10 shot groups, and average things out. I don't cherry pick the best group I ever shot with the gun, and say Im a 3/4th MOA shooter when my best groups are only 3/4th. My average with 10 shot groups and a few different types of ammo is closer to 1.5MOA. Not too bad considering other people are usually cherry picking 5 shot groups and maybe even hand loading to obtain the best groups. I use all factory ammunition which can be a hindrance.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Great point Belmont about assuming the position the groups were shot using....I pride myself heavily on staying true to prone supported with bipod even though it's incredible challenging esp. driving .308 gas guns. It's the real man's way of doing business as far as I am concerned (just like several different 10 rd groups to truly exhibit what a said item's accuracy capability is), and you will not see any of my work posted that doesn't specifically spell out the firing positioning even though most will never pick up on this nor care to. Way back when I got into the precision realm I quite frankly couldn't afford anything close to Molon's operation which is truly more scientific and stresses the said ammo, or rifle, barrel, etc. abilities rather than the shooter's ability or AR builder's ability. So I just kinda started stressing my own ability by combining shooter ability w. the builder's ability to wring out every drop of precision on a tailor fit precision AR.

eta...I have started to try and make a habit of doing accuracy reports on my favorite commercial loads currently avail, thus far I have done the new BH's Mk262 Mod 1 5.56......and more recently one on Hornady Vmax 55gr.. It's important to note that I am a straight redneck tester in some sense as I don't own wind flag's, chrono, any kinda of front rest or even a non homemade rear bag, I make clear note in my own accting at least of general conditions but rarely do I remember to bring the portable weather gatherer as I just don't shoot that often at the distances that really should merit knowing exact environmental conditions. All that said, I think I do this in the most honest way I could and I think at least all my evaluations are thoroughly conducted and documented....just by an everyday joe like myself vs. a true scientist-like Molon. One day I would like my reports to be seen as the real world or actual shooter accuracy evaluations versions of the stone cold factual reports of Molon.

Groups from the Vmax report...
    [IMG][/IMG]

Then link if you want to see the actual stuff I documented...
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...091#post961091
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 04-18-11 at 00:56.

Feedback Score

Lightbulb best way to measure accuracy/marksmanship

To test or prove the rifles accuracy the gun would have to use a rest that had the least amount of movement to keep point of aim the same.
    3 shot groups are usually used to measure the gun cold bore first shot repeatability more towards hunting rifles giving smaller groups for advertised accuracy from manufacturers. I agree multiple 5 shot groups
    give a better idea for tactical use guns, since the barrel will get hotter when used that way.

As far as marksmanship, I think a good marksman should be able to shoot a accurate rifle effectively from any position. Just my opinion.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtJ View Post
    Hello,

Is there a way that proves accuracy over another or when do you go above and beyond and prove excellent accuracy?
    I hate to use the word "mission" as I'm not in the military, nor am I a LEO. But it's a good word to set what parameters will define the use and purpose of the equipment. That's to say, before we know what over and beyond accuracy is, we must know what accuracy is needed to meet the mission. 3 inch groups at 25 yards may not be all that impressive until we learn they were shot from a pistol design for deep concealment.

I noticed "groups" are commonly used to show accuracy, mostly 3 shots. Is a 3 shot group the standard? If so what does a 5 shot group qualify as? What about 10?

Or would a 10 shot drill prove better accuracy, see like for example of what i mean: http://www.impactdatabooks.com/v/vsp...s/D-RBD10D.pdf
    The number of shots required are also determined by mission needs. 3 shot groups of less than 1 MOA are expected from a quality lightweight bolt action rifle for hunting big game. 5 shot 1 MOA groups from the same rifle are better and 10 shot 1 MOA would have me doing the Snoopy dance. Another important factor to these groups is whether or not the barrel was allowed to cool between shots.

In service rifle matches, strings of 10 shots are fired for score, so good accuracy with 10 or even 20 shot groups are the expectation.

For some applications, it's the shot placement of the first round, from a cold barrel regardless of conditions that's needed. When a Police Sniper takes a shot, that bullet must strike it's target the first time- no alibis, no "do-overs"

What about position? Bench or prone? Does one qualify you as a better marksman over the other?

What about using accessories other than a scope? Bipods, shooting rests and/or bags?
    A marksman is one who can hit with a rifle each time they shoot, using the best position for the mission at hand.

While it takes skill and experience to set up a rifle on a rest and/or sandbags, this is to remove as much shooter induced error as possible to test accuracy and consistency.

I am asking because i see a lot of groups but rarely (i said rare not never) do you get all the details, does this mean they are irrelevant? As long as you acheive the tightest group?
    The details are relevant. Little is gained to shoot 1 MOA groups from a benchrest and compare them to 6 MOA groups fired from offhand.

Tightest groups possible only count in competitions where one is shooting only for the tightest group possible. It doesn't matter if a carbine is capable of placing 100 shots through the same hole at 1000 yards if the shooter cannot hit their target in a fight.

But wouldn't using so many extra hardware only prove the rifle's accuracy, not the skill of the marksman?
    Without skill and experience, hardware is useless. I watched an experienced service rifle shooter sling up in an M14 in the prone, sight on his target, close his eyes and fire 10 shots at a reduced target set at 100 yards. All shots were kept inside 4 inches. It's also useless if it doesn't meet mission needs.

Is there a position, rifle setup and target type that would measure the marksman and the rifle best?

Is there a standard to go by and if not should there be one?
    Each type of competition measures the ability of shooters in different ways. Bullseye competition tests mental discipline, 3 gun tests the ability to shoot & scoot, benchrest tests the ability to examine & scrutinize each and every little detail, long range shooting tests the ability to read conditions and so on.

The harshest judge of anyone's shooting ability is a gunfight and those winners have my highest respect
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-18-11 at 01:53.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Consistent hits at variable distance and elevation.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    You have to remember accuracy is relation to the target, while what most people define as accuracy is consistency or precision.

The number of rounds fired has more to do with assurance of validity than anything else.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply's a lot of good points have been made.

Trident's post mentioned shooting prone and why. Info such as this is what I was looking for.

Finished building my first precision type AR and am now looking for ways to test both myself and the rifle.

It's no fun if you only build it...

Time to go out and see how bad i suck.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by harkem View Post
    As far as marksmanship, I think a good marksman should be able to shoot a accurate rifle effectively from any position. Just my opinion.
    I agree, a kick ss 5 shot group from the bench only proves that under best conditions you are a good shot, a series of 5 shot groups from different positions would be a better way to measure your accuracy. just my .02
    President of Trigon Armament Inc.

FFL-07 SOT-02

AR-15 Armorer

Competitive Shooter

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Precision versus Accuracy

First define just what the hell you are trying to capture.

Precision is the capability of the rifle (including sighting system, whether that is secured in a machine-rest with no sights, with iron sights, or with a telescopic sight) and ammunition to repetitively produce consistent groups -- whether 1, 3, 5, 10, 20-25, or 100 shots at whatever specified distance. This is why the minute-of angle is a convenient measure.

Benchrest and F-class competition are very much a reflection of precision -- trying to shoot tiny groups.

Accuracy is the ability to put that group near a specific, defined aiming point (whether that's an X-ring, bullseye or scoring ring or silhouette kill zone) from a pre-determined common, agreed position or conditions (i.e., prone, sitting, standing, kneeling, or F-class bipod from 7-10-15-25-50-100-200-300-500-600-800-900-1,000 yards/Meters). Accuracy is understandable and repeatable or re-produceable by others with the same weapon, sight, ammo, and positions.

Bullseye and combat competition are a function of precision, accuracy, and human training and application measured against time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast