Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NH - Constitutional carry up for vote.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSierra View Post
    I am not particularly in favor of the permit-less carry, as we already have way to many people in this state that shouldn't touch a firearm, much less carry one in public....
    Maybe do a little research into states that already have permit-less carry and see if that doesn't change your mind. The fact of the matter is that it causes no additional crime or problems and blood isn't running in the streets. VT, AK, AZ and WY all allow concealed carry without a permit.

The 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution should be all the "permit" anyone needs.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Why are you against giving the rights back to the people that should have never been taken to begin with?

In my opinion Constitutional Carry is a step forward. If you are a criminal and you are caught you should be hammered.

There is no provision in many states to have training and own a long gun? Stupid people can own them as well.

The language in the SB 88 (originally) covered concealed carry without a permit, but somewhere along the line that was removed from the bill. When SB 88 first appeared on the NH General Court website, it specifically stated that no person shall be guilty of a criminal offense for carrying a loaded firearm concealed on their person, or in a motor vehicle without a permit....

I'm not sure what happened....

As far as I am concerned, the NH permit system needs to be completely overhauled, and the permits should be issued through the State Police (thereby allowing NH permits to comply with ATF regulations allowing for a concealed carry permit to exempt a person from the NICS check.)

I am not particularly in favor of the permit-less carry, as we already have way to many people in this state that shouldn't touch a firearm, much less carry one in public....

Evidently someone edited the bill before it was actually passed... Even the General Court website had put up the (somewhat) original version of the bill, which still contained the wording allowing for carrying without a permit, but now all the versions of the bill that I can find do NOT contain that wording....

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    As far as I am concerned, the NH permit system needs to be completely overhauled, and the permits should be issued through the State Police (thereby allowing NH permits to comply with ATF regulations allowing for a concealed carry permit to exempt a person from the NICS check.)

I don't know -- $10 (when I was there) for 5 years, no pics, fingerprints, etc., through your local chief, is pretty compelling.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    I don't know -- $10 (when I was there) for 5 years, no pics, fingerprints, etc., through your local chief, is pretty compelling.
    It is a terrible system, trust me.

It is easy to get, but that is just about where the benefits of such a lax system end. It doesn't qualify with the standards ATF has set forth for exempting the holder of a permit from the NICS check. We also have pretty bad reciprocity (when compared with Alaska or Arizona permits.)

The "permit" in this state is nothing more than proof that you paid a tax to allow you to carry a concealed handgun, or a loaded handgun in a vehicle...

Iraqgunz and Irish,

I understand to some degree the benefit of having "Constitutional Carry" but since we pretty much have that already, it won't help anything to have a meaningless permit system, while at the same time having "Constitutional Carry."
    Since there are no real requirements to be approved for a permit (other than you cannot have any felonies, or misdemeanors of domestic violence on your record) no one can be denied a permit. If you wanted to make things easier for those of us that have a good reason to carry a firearm, the best solution (considering the overall situation here) would be to allow carry without a permit in-state, and overhaul the permit system so that it would be more restrictive, thereby giving us better reciprocity, and perhaps allow us to be exempted from NICS when we go to buy a weapon. That way, those individuals that feel threatened by a permit system could be free to carry within the state (read, Libertarians that think they should move here, smoke pot, open carry everywhere, run around naked, drink and drive, and generally cause trouble) and those of us that genuinely have a legitimate reason to carry could get a permit that actually meant something, and would make things easier for us...
    Last edited by DeltaSierra; 10-22-11 at 14:27.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It is a terrible system, trust me.
    I won't trust you. I find it one of the better ones in the country (excepting Constitutional Carry). (I lived in NH for 5 years and grew up on the NH border in Mass)

It is easy to get, but that is just about where the benefits of such a lax system end. It doesn't qualify with the standards ATF has set forth for exempting the holder of a permit from the NICS check. We also have pretty bad reciprocity (when compared with Alaska or Arizona permits.)
    So making people jump through more hoops, pay more money, and giving the government more control and a central CCW database (I don't think the NH ones get out of the local PD) is better because you get some perceived extra privileges from the government?

I'd rather undergo the NICS check each time and have a relatively inexpensive and hassle free and quick (mine took 7 days to get -- I know people who got them in 1 day) was to get a CCW

The "permit" in this state is nothing more than proof that you paid a tax to allow you to carry a concealed handgun, or a loaded handgun in a vehicle...
    That is all it is in any state. Why make it more hassle and more expensive than it needs to be.

Iraqgunz and Irish,

I understand to some degree the benefit of having "Constitutional Carry" but since we pretty much have that already, it won't help anything to have a meaningless permit system, while at the same time having "Constitutional Carry."
    Since there are no real requirements to be approved for a permit (other than you cannot have any felonies, or misdemeanors of domestic violence on your record) no one can be denied a permit. If you wanted to make things easier for those of us that have a good reason to carry a firearm, the best solution (considering the overall situation here) would be to allow carry without a permit in-state, and overhaul the permit system so that it would be more restrictive, thereby giving us better reciprocity, and perhaps allow us to be exempted from NICS when we go to buy a weapon. That way, those individuals that feel threatened by a permit system could be free to carry within the state (read, Libertarians that think they should move here, smoke pot, open carry everywhere, run around naked, drink and drive, and generally cause trouble) and those of us that genuinely have a legitimate reason to carry could get a permit that actually meant something, and would make things easier for us...
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    ...and giving the government more control and a central CCW database (I don't think the NH ones get out of the local PD...)
    Yes they do get out of the local PD, as all permit information here is entered into a Department of Homeland Security database.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yes they do get out of the local PD, as all permit information here is entered into a Department of Homeland Security database.
    Is that written in to the law? I am trying to find a reference to it and have failed.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Is that written in to the law? I am trying to find a reference to it and have failed.

Thanks

When DHS gives a PD new computers (this is just one instance that occurred locally) they asked the Chief of Police to give them certain information, and of course since he had just received a nice new laptop from them, he was happy to oblige their request.

As it stands right now, NH drivers licenses are DHS compliant (even though they are not supposed to be according to state law) and the Pistol & Revolver Permits are entered into the DHS database by the local police that receive DHS funding and equipment.
    Last edited by DeltaSierra; 10-22-11 at 16:06.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Iraqgunz and Irish,

Since there are no real requirements to be approved for a permit (other than you cannot have any felonies, or misdemeanors of domestic violence on your record) no one can be denied a permit. Why should they be denied? If you wanted to make things easier for those of us that have a good reason to carry a firearm, the best solution (considering the overall situation here) would be to allow carry without a permit in-state, and overhaul the permit system so that it would be more restrictive, thereby giving us better reciprocity, and perhaps allow us to be exempted from NICS when we go to buy a weapon. That way, those individuals that feel threatened by a permit system could be free to carry within the state (read, Libertarians that think they should move here, smoke pot, open carry everywhere, run around naked, drink and drive, and generally cause trouble) and those of us that genuinely have a legitimate reason to carry could get a permit that actually meant something, and would make things easier for us...
    Posed a question in red but the 2 bold statements definitely don't jive with the 2nd Amendment or living in a free country. Honestly it sounds like stuff you'd hear from the Brady group.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Irish,

There are certain things that are regulated, for the safety of the community in which you live. If the State in which you live wants to place certain restrictions on firearms (or anything else for that matter) they can do so, as the Constitution of the United States originally applied to the Federal Government and not to the States.

The Federal Government should have a hands-off approach on this issue, but if a State requires a permit, then so be it.
    Last edited by DeltaSierra; 10-22-11 at 18:26.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast