Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: antibiotics and pain meds

Feedback Score

Question antibiotics and pain meds

What do you do to acquire and store some relevant antibiotics and pain medication in the event that a seriously injured person cannot make it to medical care right away and will need to be treated by you?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Pain meds I'm not really sure about, other than those that are high in Lidocaine or Benzocaine for topical, shallow tissue pain relief. As far as like opioids its a tough call not being an EMT, as they can land you in some touble and may hurt the person being treated if you aren't really familiar with dosages.

As for antibiotics, it may sound funny however, I use fish ick medicine. It is easily purchased and it's just generic Amoxicilian and Ampicillin, which are your standard antibiotic regimens. You can purchase it in tablet form at any Walmart or Pet Store.
    Last edited by Reagans Rascals; 10-21-11 at 06:08.
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

smoke and drink and screw..that's what I was born to do.. - Steel Panther

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Canada or Mexico and smuggle it over the border it illegal as hell but its all I can think of. I dont know how long they keep for.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Forget it....

You'll need to get a doctor to write you a script or buy animal meds. I suppose you can also try Canada. I don't trust meds made in Mexico.
    Last edited by uwe1; 10-22-11 at 12:04.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagans Rascals View Post
    Pain meds I'm not really sure about, other than those that are high in Lidocaine or Benzocaine for topical, shallow tissue pain relief. As far as like opioids its a tough call not being an EMT, as they can land you in some touble and may hurt the person being treated if you aren't really familiar with dosages.

As for antibiotics, it may sound funny however, I use fish ick medicine. It is easily purchased and it's just generic Amoxicilian and Ampicillin, which are your standard antibiotic regimens. You can purchase it in tablet form at any Walmart or Pet Store.
    Amazon has some good deals as well. I've never tried them but a buddy at work has supposedly used it twice for sinus deals. With them only costing $20 for a pretty good amount of antibiotics I figure I'd rather have them then not.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    After you've completed medical school, all you need to do is apply for a DEA license.

Otherwise dispensing medications without understanding the pharmacokinetecis, dosing, and potential drug interactions is not only illegal, but stupid.

Feedback Score
    Just as a safety note:
    Tetracycline antibiotics (tetracycline, doxycycline, minocycline ect) should not be used if they are expired or if they have been stored in hot conditions. They form nephrotoxic compounds as they degrade(hurts your kidneys).

I had a friend ask me about this once. His aunt had a huge bottle she bought in mexico years ago. He was going to take them, even though they expired 7 years previously...

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    After you've completed medical school, all you need to do is apply for a DEA license.

Otherwise dispensing medications without understanding the pharmacokinetecis, dosing, and potential drug interactions is not only illegal, but stupid.
    I agree with this 100%.

However, for the sake of this thread, and I'm not offering legal or professional medical advice, if there is a prolonged societal breakdown and major services are interrupted, that's where I see having a little something on hand is better than not.

For those who choose to have stuff on hand, make sure you learn how to use it and had some prior experiences with it. Don't take anything that you have never taken in the past while under the supervision of a medical professional and don't offer it to anyone else. When SHTF is not the time to find out that you have a anaphylactic reaction to penicillin based antibiotics.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I cannot envision any circumstance where the casual and ignorant administration of an antibiotic would be worth the risk.

As for possession (let alone administration) of scheduled narcotic pain medication without a DEA license or valid prescription.... . That goes way beyond stupid.

If you're not a medical professional of some kind working under the stipulations of your license or certification, you have no business "treating people" with medication for anything.
    Last edited by Hmac; 10-22-11 at 10:05.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwe1 View Post
    I agree with this 100%.

However, for the sake of this thread, and I'm not offering legal or professional medical advice, if there is a prolonged societal breakdown and major services are interrupted, that's where I see having a little something on hand is better than not.

For those who choose to have stuff on hand, make sure you learn how to use it and had some prior experiences with it. Don't take anything that you have never taken in the past while under the supervision of a medical professional and don't offer it to anyone else. When SHTF is not the time to find out that you have a anaphylactic reaction to penicillin based antibiotics.
    Basic and advanced knowledge of what you have in way of preps should be a must. I can't imagine stock piling something I have no idea how to use at a decent level to preserve life. Be it ammo, food, weapons or medicines.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast