Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting maced during training?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Not that I've tried this, but since you mention sensitive skin, I just looked at aftershave cooling gel for sensitive skin, and wonder if that would help? Obviously, not for use on the eyes.

Feedback Score
    A Dawn/Water mix in a spray bottle applied by a buddy helps.

PS-Get it out of your eyebrows and hair too or you will be in for a fun shower experience when you go home.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

YES!

Quote Originally Posted by jared91 View Post
    ok, i dont know if this is the right thread or not for this, but it sure seemed like it. as we all know, leo during training all get maced. they say that afterwards, rinsing with water only makes it worse by spreading it, and only offers short term comfort. well, ive been thinking... and this is just a REALLY random though, i dont know that this would even work, so this is why im asking in here. we all know, that when you eat spicey foods, to drink milk, because it is a base and will cure the burning in your mouth. well, if thats the case for your mouth, shouldnt this concept apply to your body/skin? instead of water, do you think drenching yourself in milk would be a better alternative? im just asking, because im going to eventually have to go through this. yea, its a weird question, and im looking for serious answers, a yes or no, and a reason why. please no just deal with it whimp we all had too. i would experiment, but yeaa. in concept, what do ya'll think. lets hear it.
    We use about every kind of OC pepper spray out there, in copious amounts. Some of the new vapors and foggers are just plane evil and I've been covered in all of them. A quick water rinse and air are the standard. I don't think the decon sprays are much better, at least not in my experiance.

The first time I tried milk I had been saturated with the orange, Sabre 5.0 stuff in some very sensitive areas (long story). I tried to suck it up as long as I could, then I had the same thought that you did. I grabbed some milk gave myself a decon... sweet relief! It worked better than anything i've ever used and made the rest of my day!

Never used Dawn, but I'm going to give that a try. As far as soothing relief on sensitive areas... milk does a body good!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    see, this is what i was thinking! if it works for your mouth, why not the rest of your body? you know, if anyone is local to me, that has mace, im willing to try it out, for the sake of everyone else... can do a control group, and two variables...

and i know how you feel about the sensitve areas... i used to play baseball in hs, and once got tiger balm on my family jewls.... i wanted to cry. that was the most agonizing experiance i have ever had.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Okay well first of all stop freaking stressing about it or you're gonna freak out. It ****ing hurts and life will suck for about an hour.

I've been an OC instructor and I've been sprayed a lot. Three time in a row once trying to show a goal oriented person can fight through it.

I usually laugh and swear after taking a hit. The Dawn soap sounds like good advice. I always used Ivory.

Make sure you wash your hands well before using the bathroom! Trust me. I found out the hard way.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Make sure you wash your hands well before using the bathroom! Trust me. I found out the hard way.
    And when you rinse off your face, bend at the waist. Don't stand straight up and let the water/OC run down your pants.
    "You won't rise to the ocassion, you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

NRA LE Handgun/Shotgun Instructor
    Pa ACT235 Firearms Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Okay well first of all stop freaking stressing about it or you're gonna freak out. It ****ing hurts and life will suck for about an hour.

I've been an OC instructor and I've been sprayed a lot. Three time in a row once trying to show a goal oriented person can fight through it.

I usually laugh and swear after taking a hit. The Dawn soap sounds like good advice. I always used Ivory.

Have to agree with Joby, from being hit and having received collateral contact during arrests you deal and drive on. The sole purpose behind training of this nature is to see how you react and work through it with added stress factors. It sucks, but you do build up a tolerance over time. Soap helps, just remember it only effects the oil which is the transport medium in which the capsaicin travels in. You will still have the capsaicin molecules in your skin due to the process of micro -pulverization breaking down the molecules to pass easily through the outer layer of skin. On a side note, your skin repels water but will absorb lipids(oils), making oil a superb medium for OC.

Best thing is time and oxygen. Your skin needs to absorb and breakdown the molecules that you weren't able to wash away. Cheers and be humbled in the fact that many have gone before you and many shall go after.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    Im glad i'm not the only dumbass that let OC get where it shouldn't.

Water hose and a fan is all i've ever used. I'll have to try the dawn if I ever have to get hit again.

OP, no worries bro, it sucks but it only lasts a little while. Just control your breathing and don't freak out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Dawn and cold water first. Followed by a fan, with a damp paper towl to dab your face inbetween turns in front of the fan. This really made my second exposure seem like a cake walk in comparison to my first which was water and a fan only (in July).

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Dawn worked the best for me
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast