Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting maced during training?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    DAMN! Sounds like it's nearly a fettish for you at this point.

Not really. I've been teaching recruit and in-service classes since 1989, and teaching instructor cert classes since 1994.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've been sprayed by OC spray several times, both intentionally in a training setting and accidentally on the street by fellow officers during a scuffle, and it sucks ass! I'm a fair skinned Irish boy who doesn't like very spicy food, so it hits me friggin' hard. But you work through it. Fresh water, air, and time is all I've ever used and it usually clears up in like 30-60 minutes or so.

Getting tased sucks, too! Not fun! I 'volunteer' to get tased every time we have recert training, so I've been tased at least 5-6 times. Yeah, I'm also part dumbass... But like previously noted, it only lasts a few seconds...a few very long seconds. Neither one is the least bit enjoyable.
    www.king33training.com

Si vis pacem, para bellum

2/1 SFG(A)
    ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM / DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Feedback Score
    Question for you:

Are you using pepper sprays, CS/CN/CR or PAVA spray?

I ask because in the UK Police we use PAVA. I am tolerant to CS/CN/CR but PAVA just stops you [fullstop]. I have seen huge beef machines capable of drunken mas destruction stopped by a 5'4" police woman and a PAVA spray.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Wow. I've never heard of PAVA.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's ****ing awful, and it's pretty close to the same shit that's in OC. I was sprayed with it in a school in Germany. However, it's not really that much different than a really REALLY hot OC, like Fox or some of the bear sprays.

I believe it's also what the Pepperball munitions are loaded with.
    Last edited by QuietShootr; 06-04-11 at 12:36.

Feedback Score
    I'll explain briefly.

The UK is uptight and concerned about any kind of offensive weapons, to a degree it works in controlling the scrotes.

Move that concern into a need for a more proactive officer safety requirement and immediately sprays were put forward as a lesss than lethal option. However, the UK Police learned from some of the US LE experiences and some of the UK military experiences.

A team of scientists was put together to examine what was available and how effective and also how dangerous it is. The conclusion was that pepper spray was the best option. However, pepper spray is put together from naturally harvested plant material - normally from south of the border. The scientists kept finsing diffences between every batch they tested and put this down to the fact that no two farmers use the same soil or same fertilisers to grow the base material for pepper spray. This was considered an unacceptable risk as the UK is now as litigous as the USA and there are much stronger weapons laws at work than in the USA.

To put that in context: Any form of irritant spray designed as a weapon of self defence or assault is in the same legal class as a full auto weapon, grenade, bazooka, land mine or fully operational tank. Interestingly though, stun grenades are classified as fireworks .

So back to the scientists: In order to mitigate risks and lawsuits the scientists isolated the active ingredients in the meanest nastiest pepper spray they could get hold of. This resulted in the chemically produced PAVA spray. Nice stuff.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Rheydt View Post
    Question for you:

Are you using pepper sprays, CS/CN/CR or PAVA spray?

I ask because in the UK Police we use PAVA. I am tolerant to CS/CN/CR but PAVA just stops you [fullstop]. I have seen huge beef machines capable of drunken mas destruction stopped by a 5'4" police woman and a PAVA spray.
    My agency uses OC (oleoresin capscium) spray, a type of pepper spray. It's nasty, but some of the population is not affected by it as much as others. As a matter of fact, I don't think it's ever even left it's pouch, other than to be periodically replaced, since we've been issued tasers.
    www.king33training.com

Si vis pacem, para bellum

2/1 SFG(A)
    ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM / DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CC4me View Post
    Baby shampoo and cold water works for OC spray, but it will reactivate again if you take a hot shower.
    sounds like you figured that out the hard way!

Feedback Score
    One time, I was trying to get in my girlfriends pants, and I was about to get lucky, so we were on our couch, and I was laying on top of her purse, (which has a can of OC spray, I think she got it from ALS or something) and after about... 2.5 minutes I felt the worst burning sensation on my nether region EVER.

I OC sprayed my own dick, because I laid on her purse. D:

Milk DID work for me. A little.

Those pore cleanser things you put on your nose to get rid of blackheads worked pretty well actually.

Penis hurt for a day.

Pouring Milk on your ass also isn't fun.

The whole experience totally sucked.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    A mix of water and baby shampoo. OC is an oil based substance, even if the carrier is water or alcohol. The shampoo which is made to wash away the oils in hair does an ok job on OC. Followed by a lot of water for rinsing, and sitting in front of a fan.
    That's why milk, or sour cream, works with food. The fats in that mix and carry the OC away. If you're going to try it, use whole milk not skim.
    If you look at the ingredient lists of a the decon sprays and wipes, they are basically water, shampoo, and some have sugar.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast