Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My New Ruger SR1911

Feedback Score
    I agree with your premise, but I must have missed where it said they were "specially prepared".
    I haven't owned a 1911 in years, but I might buy one of these.
    I too, wish carbon steel was an option.
    This is the 1911 Rob S spec'ed on the Charles Daly forum, iirc.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it" Thomas Jefferson
    "Civilization is a wonderful, but paper thin concept" JW777

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very nice, looks like Ruger got some stuff right for once...

I especially like the tastefully done rollmarks, warning, etc. Looks very, very nice and not overdone in the least.
    I'm no expert, but I took my CCW course at a Holiday Inn Express

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    So you get a great trip to Gunsite, shoot specially prepared Ruger pistols with Ruger ammo, eat Ruger food, maybe drink some Ruger booze in the evening. Did Ruger pay your lodging? Your travel? Then you give their gun a glowing report! Hey, I'd glow too if I got such a sweet deal! You failed to answer one important question. With all the great 1911s out there, why should I buy a Ruger 1911? Why should I buy anything from a company that tells me that a 77-22 that shoots six to eight inches at 50 yards meets Ruger accuracy specifications? In contrast to your fabulous experience I see my experience as more likely to be: Buy a Ruger, it's inaccurate or unreliable or defective right out of the box or it breaks after some use. That is my experience with Ruger.
    I'm not, nor have I asked you to buy anything, you should spend your money solely on what you want.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunderway View Post
    Two questions:

1. Do any other mfgs machine their barrels and bushings at the same time? This seems like a nice process to get a consistent fit.

2. In one of the press releases for this Ruger mentions an "improved internal extractor". What is improved? Could you please pull the extractor and compare it to a standard one? It

Guess that was actually three questions.
    I would probably not be the best person to answer these questions, like I mentioned before I'm no 1911 expert.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've got 500 rounds through mine and have been pleased with it. Accuracy and reliability have been good. I've had no trouble with 200gr LSWC, 230gr ball and 185gr XTP JHP's. I have had a couple of failures to feed with 185gr SWC using the factory mag (same ammo worked fine in my CMC, Wilson and Tripp mags) but those stubby little suckers don't usually feed in anything.

Here's a couple mags worth of Hornady 185gr XTP's fired from fifty yards. Not the best group I've ever fired in my life but not too shabby for a carry trigger and full powered ammo.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Note the "bow tie" cut in the frame.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by deadduck357 View Post
    I'm not, nor have I asked you to buy anything, you should spend your money solely on what you want.
    It was a rhetorical question duck but I will answer it. A Ruger 1911 is, like all Rugers, a great idea but for the shitty quality control that, over the years has become legendary. If you were lucky enough to get a good one, how wonderful for you! I have not been so lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I agree with your premise, but I must have missed where it said they were "specially prepared".....
    Duck didn't say that, I did. I surmised it considering that a dozen or more shooters fired hundreds, maybe thousands of shots each and
    nobody on the firing line reported any malfunction that I am aware.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 04-19-11 at 21:52.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    It was a rhetorical question duck but I will answer it. A Ruger 1911 is, like all Rugers, a great idea but for the shitty quality control that, over the years has become legendary. If you were lucky enough to get a good one, how wonderful for you! I have not been so lucky.

Duck didn't say that, I did. I surmised it considering that a dozen or more shooters fired hundreds, maybe thousands of shots each and
    With such an obvious chip on your shoulder in regards to Ruger I must ask, why did you even read this thread let alone post in it? I won't grandstand for Ruger, but they do have several firearms which are also legendary for durability, performance and value.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Time will tell whether or not Ruger can keep the quality up on these guns but I really like what I see so far. The little parts are probably cast or MIM which raises a question of durability but the little things like no FPS, improved extractor, and in-house casting and machining make me think that this one has promise.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunderway View Post
    With such an obvious chip on your shoulder in regards to Ruger I must ask, why did you even read this thread let alone post in it? I won't grandstand for Ruger, but they do have several firearms which are also legendary for durability, performance and value.
    To provide some balance, some perspective and to warn the unaware that their experience with Ruger may not be as wonderful. Mr. Duck had a wonderful experience with Ruger, my experience has been less than wonderful. People need to know there is a risk involved in buying a Ruger. I have purchased Ruger firearms as recently as two years ago when I bought several big bore DA revolvers. I intended to send them to Cylinder and Slide and have them tuned, have the problems fixed. I haven't done so as I have been spending my cash on black guns. All five of these revolvers, the rear sights are loose. They wobble from side to side anywhere from too much to way too much. Here is the issue, either Ruger doesn't know that a loose rear sight is a problem or they don't care. Which do you think it is? You think I should just suffer in silence and let them get away with this stupid shit?

I will agree that Ruger is legendary for durability. Value is debatable. As far as performance, if accuracy is a consideration, they are legendary for mediocre accuracy.

By the way, I will still buy a Ruger under the right circumstances. The big bore revolvers are an example. No one makes a comparable gun. Have them gunsmithed and Rugers can be great guns.

If you want to refute me, don't question my motives, challenge my assertions. My motives are obvious. I read the thread because I want to be informed. I respond because I want my fellow shooters to be informed. And, if Ruger has figured out how to build quality guns, finally, after all these years, I want to know about it. And as far as I know this 1911 is a great gun. Mr Duck says so and while I have questioned his impartiality, I do not doubt nor have I questioned one word he has written.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 04-20-11 at 05:19.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast